can you re-chrome pipes

BigMatt

can you re-chrome old pipes, I have a little rust on my FMF's and I tried getting it off polish all that stuff, I think its time to re-chrome, do people do this? how does it work any flaking? and who does it out there with good pricing? there's no dents or dings so I'd like to keep them.

can you re-chrome old pipes, I have a little rust on my FMF's and I tried getting it off polish all that stuff, I think its time to re-chrome, do people do this? how does it work any flaking? and who does it out there with good pricing? there's no dents or dings so I'd like to keep them.

Most chrome shops won't touch used pipes because the carbon, soot and oil that has built up in the pipe from running the bike will contaminate their chrome tank. There was a thread on here recently about this and they did find someone that would do it. I dont know if dipping them in a hot(caustic soda) tank would clean them good enough or not. As far as flaking or peeling, you need to find someone with a good rep.

Most chrome shops won't touch used pipes because the carbon, soot and oil that has built up in the pipe from running the bike will contaminate their chrome tank. There was a thread on here recently about this and they did find someone that would do it. I dont know if dipping them in a hot(caustic soda) tank would clean them good enough or not. As far as flaking or peeling, you need to find someone with a good rep.

If any one know this thread direct me, or send me this guys e-mail. thanks

Try http://www.autosol.com/metal-care/

with a round polishing Brush on a drill and you will be amased at what this can do.

I tried it on my pips and I got rid of the blueing near the motor.

I will try to upload a pic I have in my office before and after.

I know after you polish the steel you have to hi-temp clear coat, wear do you get this? and do you use a spray grease to help remain polish and protect. if i went this rout i was thinking about painting the FMF symbol blue to make it pop has any one done this, thanks for all your help guys

PM Gobigorgohome on here, I think he will rechrome used pipes I beleive for a good price. He is a great guy to deal with. But for the most part, as said before, a lot of guys don't like to mess with used pipes because they can ruin a dipping tank. I wouldn't worry about flaking, you should have no problem with that. I'm pretty sure FMF doesn't chrome there pipes from the factory, they nickle plate them and they don't last and do not clean up using polish, atleast thats my opinion.....JMO.. Good Luck man!

take a s.o.s pad to them and scrub ur nuts off.grab some blue magic or wizards metal polish-even brasso works.have a buddy hold them down and glob shit on a buffing pad and go to town.theyll be blingin-not like new chrome but dude theyll look good enough for the money ull save.ive even thought about ht black powdering mine from the ring that meets ut jug to the first weld.thats usually the only part that will come out not as perfect as ud like.even new pipes rust or blue down there quickly unless you clean them very well and spray em with wd-40.try it dude-ull shit,i did.clear em after that-autozone should have a high temp clear or an autobody supply store.even if it comes off after a while im sure u could soak em in laquer thinner and strip em.not sure if the clear would turn brown or burn tho..its a coin flip.just polish em and spray em with wd after every wash and/or ride.

take a s.o.s pad to them and scrub ur nuts off.grab some blue magic or wizards metal polish-even brasso works.have a buddy hold them down and glob shit on a buffing pad and go to town.theyll be blingin-not like new chrome but dude theyll look good enough for the money ull save.ive even thought about ht black powdering mine from the ring that meets ut jug to the first weld.thats usually the only part that will come out not as perfect as ud like.even new pipes rust or blue down there quickly unless you clean them very well and spray em with wd-40.try it dude-ull shit,i did.clear em after that-autozone should have a high temp clear or an autobody supply store.even if it comes off after a while im sure u could soak em in laquer thinner and strip em.not sure if the clear would turn brown or burn tho..its a coin flip.just polish em and spray em with wd after every wash and/or ride.

thanks guys what kinda polinshing pad do you use?

Edited by BigMatt

PM Gobigorgohome on here, I think he will rechrome used pipes I beleive for a good price. He is a great guy to deal with. But for the most part, as said before, a lot of guys don't like to mess with used pipes because they can ruin a dipping tank. I wouldn't worry about flaking, you should have no problem with that. I'm pretty sure FMF doesn't chrome there pipes from the factory, they nickle plate them and they don't last and do not clean up using polish, atleast thats my opinion.....JMO.. Good Luck man!

According to FMF website, dirt bike pipes are nickel plated and ATV pipes are chrome. It has to be the crappiest chrome available though

how deep is the rust on the pipes? is it just light surface rust....or is it deeper?