best way to paint frame

bonerific250

so I've been done riding for the season and I want to repaint the frame and a-arms etc. And I was wondering what is the best way to do this? should I take the frame right down to bare metal the use epoxy primer then use a paint with hardners.Don't have the funds for powder coat,just looking for someone who painted their frame and has had no problems with paint chipping and good results.Any feedback would be great, don't want to paint again next year.Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this.

Edited by bonerific250

i just got done repainting mine an i took it all down to bare metal, thats the only way your gonna get the best look. as far as lasting i can only tell you from my expierence that powder coat is stronger but it still comes off. check out my thread titled NEW PAINT, i have a blasting cabinet and a portable blaster that i did the frame with. i only spend 60 bucks in paint. im not done withn the bike yet so i havent ridin it yet. but for 60 bucks an some time i wouldnt mind doing it every year, gives me somthing to do in the fall and i get a chance to completely check every part of the bike for things that are broken or wore out.

When i did my brothers blaster i had it blasted primered and painted. I suggest you use a lot of clear coats to protect it from the elements. If you really have to paint make sure you prep it as far as blasting it to bare metal. No matter how well you do this paint will still end up chipping off especially where the swing arm is. The frame holds up really well. Where it's exposed where dirt and rock will be flying the paint will eventually start to chip. Using a few coats of good quality clear should help you out.

• 2 weeks later...

I painted my stock a-arms probably 2 years back and they held up very well. There was no chips in them. I went over to the automotive sherwin williams and have tried two different paints. The one already had the clear coat mixed in with it which was i believe an acrylic enamel but not sure then i also have done the base coat clear coat which also held up well. They both turned out very well I personally liked the one with no clear coat just because it was half of the work and turned out just as well.

• 3 weeks later...

After you buy all the crap you need to do a good paint job on your bike, you could spend a little more and get it powder coated, and it will actually last!

I think I paid like 250 bucks to have my frame, a arms, dog bone, all four hubs, spindels, brakes, sproket and brake hubs, and a few other things done. Powder isnt really all that expensive, and it last alot longer!