i need help understanding main jets and pilot jets

9banshee6

pilot jets control idle, the needles are for mid, and mains are for top. the numbers are for the sizes in diameter. if you list your mods and temp and elevation and post on the jetting forum you will get info to get you real close to the shee running good

ok so how many pilot and main jets are there in each carb? Also from a scale 1-10 how hard is it to open up the carbs and change the jets. and how do you know were the go?

There are one of each in each carb. They are pretty easy to change really, the worse/longest part is taking off and reinstalling the carbs/cables and boots. But with that you can either leave the carbs in the intake boot and rotate the carb just enough to pull the bowl off. Or you can take the carbs right out and do it that way. But basically you pull the bowls off and the jets are accessed from there.

If your bike start's up good and idles good you should have to change the pilot jet. Most people are changing there main jet, You shouldn't have to take the carb's off the bike to change it, just loosen up the clamp that hols it to the intake and tilt the carb to were the bottom of the carb is stickin out and there should be a bolt there just un screw it and there is you main jet. P.S. turn your fuel off, and when you put another jet in there DO NOT tighen it to tight they are easy to break.

Edited by AtvFoxBoy86

If your bike start's up good and idles good you should have to change the pilot jet. Most people are changing there main jet, You shouldn't have to take the carb's off the bike to change it, just loosen up the clamp that hols it to the intake and tilt the carb to were the bottom of the carb is stickin out and there should be a bolt there just un screw it and there is you main jet. P.S. turn your fuel off, and when you put another jet in there DO NOT tighen it to tight they are easy to break.

The idle is controlled by the air screw, the pilot affects from OFF idle to somewhere between 1/4 to1/2 throttle. If it seems boggy from off idle until it comes on the pipe, you need to change your pilot jet. You should definetly read the stikies in jetting and learn how a carb works,alot of two stroke problems are related to a jetting problem, including longevity.

i to have just figured out all of this. My advice is to: 1. read all of the pinned threads on jetting/carbs here on BHQ 2. Check this site our... read all of it http://www.dfn.com/benkaren/jetfaq.html there is other links within it. click on them and read all of that. 3: Buy a clymers repair manual, read everything on the carbs/intake. If you do all three you will learn ALOT and carbs will not seem very complicated. key is reading and gathering as much info as you can.

Edited by Crazyatvspazz

Ok i 'm only 13 and got my fist bike like 2 months ago so i really need some help understanding main jets and pilot jets ok I always hear people saying 300-310 on the main jets and 27 or 30 on pilots ok I just wanted to know what those numbers mean like is it the size of the jet or what?

Damn 13 your a lucky kid to have a banshee, and i like the fact that you want to learn to work on it so you dont have to bring it to the dealer everytime it breaks, you also came to the right place for EVERYTHING about banshees, just read everything carefully and by no time youll be a pro at tuning your own bike, goodluck

2 peices of advise...only do 1 carb at a time, and don't force anything, it should all go together and come apart smoothly, there are a few tubes in there that can catch on the floats and passages when you are pemoving/installing the bowls, and a tab that can be damaged if you force the slide in wrong.

ps, the pilot works the idle range up to between 1/4 and 1/8 throttle, and the airscrew fine tunes it.....they work together through it's whole use range......