NEED HELP! Possible electrical problem

jjdawg336

Here's the problem: it arose after i was pushing a porto potty down the road (dont ask) then my quad died as if it ran out of gas. now, at idle one cylinder doesnt fire, when i begin to ride, immediately both pistons get stuck overreving, (the same as when a throttle is stuck open). the throttle is not open (i checked the carbs and both are closed) when this overreving happens the kill switch and key are disabled and dont shut the quad down. I think it might be the CDI or pickup coil or TORS system because of an article i was reading here on the site, the URL address is below. PLEASE HELP!!!

http://www.dfn.com/benkaren/elecfaq.html

haha, why the hell were you pushing a porta-pooper down the road?

this scenario doesnt even make sense. how is the bike revving up if the both of the carb slides are down? no gas = no revs.. are you sure the slides are all the way down? have you checked to make sure there are no kinks in the throttle cable?

haha, why the hell were you pushing a porta-pooper down the road?

this scenario doesnt even make sense. how is the bike revving up if the both of the carb slides are down? no gas = no revs.. are you sure the slides are all the way down? have you checked to make sure there are no kinks in the throttle cable?

That is a weird one. NO Gas= NO Revs, I agree. I would have to say definitely a cdi issue, but your choke tube or something would have had to simultaneously fell off when the problem started.

There is nothing that the cdi can do to make the bike rev without throttle. You most likely have a air leak and the bike is lean sticking. Check all of your boots, intake bolts, carb top. And make 100% that the slides are not open. An easy way to find the leak will be a leak down test and if it a crank seal this might be the only way. You can spray ether on all of the connections and seals to see if the bike revs up but if it is already reving prolly not a good idea.

There is nothing that the cdi can do to make the bike rev without throttle. You most likely have a air leak and the bike is lean sticking. Check all of your boots, intake bolts, carb top. And make 100% that the slides are not open. An easy way to find the leak will be a leak down test and if it a crank seal this might be the only way. You can spray ether on all of the connections and seals to see if the bike revs up but if it is already reving prolly not a good idea.

I had a cdi problem once, same thing as he described. Not the overrev but misfiring at idle and the kill and key switch wouldn't work.

The over rev will be an air leak, choke tube would do it.

I had a cdi problem once, same thing as he described. Not the overrev but misfiring at idle and the kill and key switch wouldn't work.

The over rev will be an air leak, choke tube would do it.

A faulty cdi can cause a lot of different issues but revving up is not one. The only thing that can cause free reving is too much air or too much air and fuel aka stuck throttle. The kill switch is ran threw the cdi so a shorted cdi could cause the kill not to work. That is why we hook our kill directly up to the coil to ground them out.

Hey guys,

Thanks for all your responses!!! I'm very new to 2 strokes and the terms of the banshee. My initial thoughts are I need to get a new/used CDI and install the bitch!!! I've had a blaster for years but nothing like this has ever come up! If you guys could be a bit more descriptive it would really help!!! Sorry for the troubles!!! If there is an air leak as you might suggest, between which two components do you think this leak is and how can I test to see if this is the problem? I really appreciate your input as I am a broke college kid trying to get by on ramon soup and BPR pounders!!!

I took both carbs off and realized the only reason the choke tube is on connecting both carbs is because of the way it connects the two carbs, there is no snug fit it just sits on both choke carb nubs cuz its just wedged there... as soon as i take one carb off the tube just falls off both carbs, could this be the air leak you're all suggesting? if so i'll get a new choke tube and cdi and see what happens. anybody think it could be a coil giving me problems maybe in combination of an air leak and cdi issue?