override transmissions

00sheerzr

the main purpose of an override is so that you can shift while youre at wide open throttle.

there are two main types of overrides..

1. regular override - mainly used in drag racing. upshifting while under power with no clutch. you must come to a complete stop before shifting back down through the gears. if you dont, you risk bending shift forks and grenading the transmission.

2. duneable override - can be up shifted or down shifted without the use of the clutch. you dont have to stop all the way to downshift. you can run most of them just like a regular transmission, however over time they will eventually wear on the shift forks.

most of the time one or the other is used with the use of a lockup(keeps the clutch from slipping). if you dont use an override with a lockup, its nearly impossible to shift the bike unless you let off the throttle and pull the clutch in all the way.

the main purpose of an override is so that you can shift while youre at wide open throttle.

2. duneable override - can be up shifted or down shifted without the use of the clutch. you dont have to stop all the way to downshift. you can run most of them just like a regular transmission, however over time they will eventually wear on the shift forks.

You must still use the clutch to down shift on a dunable or you will bend the forks at minimum.The drums are mot cut to downshift without useing the clutch.

You must still use the clutch to down shift on a dunable or you will bend the forks at minimum.The drums are mot cut to downshift without useing the clutch.

youre wrong. i have a 2-4 duneable thats been in use for 4 years. i downshift it all the time with no clutch. i just tore it apart after 4 years and all my shift forks were in great shape.

my brother has the same 2-4 and his is the same way. no clutch on downshifting = perfectly fine.

youre wrong. i have a 2-4 duneable thats been in use for 4 years. i downshift it all the time with no clutch. i just tore it apart after 4 years and all my shift forks were in great shape.

my brother has the same 2-4 and his is the same way. no clutch on downshifting = perfectly fine.

I HAVE A REGULAR CLUTCH SETUP AND I SOMETIMES DON'T USE THE CLUTCH TO SHIFT UP OR DOWN, I JUST LET OFF THE THROTTLE FOR A SECOND, POP IT UP AND FLOOR IT AGAIN, MUCH FASTER THAN USING THE CLUTCH. AM I DOING ANY DAMAGE? PREMATURE WEAR OF THE GEARS MAYBE? I GET MIXED OPINIONS FROM THE PEOPLE I ALREADY ASKED.

THANKS

I HAVE A REGULAR CLUTCH SETUP AND I SOMETIMES DON'T USE THE CLUTCH TO SHIFT UP OR DOWN, I JUST LET OFF THE THROTTLE FOR A SECOND, POP IT UP AND FLOOR IT AGAIN, MUCH FASTER THAN USING THE CLUTCH. AM I DOING ANY DAMAGE? PREMATURE WEAR OF THE GEARS MAYBE? I GET MIXED OPINIONS FROM THE PEOPLE I ALREADY ASKED.

THANKS

Thats blipping the throttle. I do that all the time and haven't had any problems.

Well I stand corrected,On both of mine I am unable to downshift without useing the clutch..Possibly because of the cut,Mine are 1-5 with N down so I'm assuming that is why.

Well I stand corrected,On both of mine I am unable to downshift without useing the clutch..Possibly because of the cut,Mine are 1-5 with N down so I'm assuming that is why.

maybe so. i was very leery of doing it when i first got my transmission and i babied it a lot. after some time i got more comfortable with it and came to realize i could beat the hell out of it and not have to worry.

upon tear down i was very surprised to see that the shift forks were in great shape and had very little wear on them. in fact two of them had virtually no wear, while one had minimal wear on it.

maybe so. i was very leery of doing it when i first got my transmission and i babied it a lot. after some time i got more comfortable with it and came to realize i could beat the hell out of it and not have to worry.

upon tear down i was very surprised to see that the shift forks were in great shape and had very little wear on them. in fact two of them had virtually no wear, while one had minimal wear on it.

Tyler, on your 2-4 is neutral between 1 and 2? Is it still a 6 speed or did it drop to 5? How in the hell do you remember to clutch between 4th and 5th?

I am getting one over the winter and was thinking of going with a 1-5 N down but I want to be able to beat the hell out of it also.

SP

Tyler, on your 2-4 is neutral between 1 and 2? Is it still a 6 speed or did it drop to 5? How in the hell do you remember to clutch between 4th and 5th?

I am getting one over the winter and was thinking of going with a 1-5 N down but I want to be able to beat the hell out of it also.

SP

I'm not sure on sure on tylers trans.. They cut them so many different ways. But the N down is the way to go for sure for a few reasons.. I have a 1-5 standard N. When I'm warming up my bike.. I REALLY have to make sure no one is in front of me and my clutch pulled in even if its in N. Reason being.. Springs hold the trans in N.. That spring gets weak the trans could slip into 1st as your blipping the throttle. I'm sure the engine vibration dont help it any. Its happend to me a few times now.. On my 4mil cub and my big motor.. Also.. When I stage.. I like to pull the clutch in and clean out the motor... This heats my clutch up.. Its alot easier to just click down for N.. clean it out... then click back up.. ALOT easier on the clutch pack. I already sent a new drum/star out to get cut for the N down instead of the standard N.

SP

I know WCR is offering a "extreme" duneable and he claims no wear from backloading. He has a warranty on them if they do. Probably should get with them for the details on that.

For some reason.. The edit option isn't working for me... hence my multiple posts.. lol

I know WCR is offering a "extreme" duneable and he claims no wear from backloading. He has a warranty on them if they do. Probably should get with them for the details on that.

For some reason.. The edit option isn't working for me... hence my multiple posts.. lol

Thanks man, I was looking at WCRs website a couple of weeks ago and didn't see anything there. Suppose I need to call them. I guess they could best answer the question of "is one more durable then the other?" also. What is the benefit of the a 2-4 or is it just a different application? I never use 1st when dragging so my thought was to go with a 1-5 N down and step up my gearing to utilize 1st gear.

I still do alot of duning with the wife, kids and some friends and want the trany to be reliable for this so any opinions on on which dunable would be appreciated.

SP

SP

mine is a 1-N-(2-4)-5-6

everything is in the same spot as stock. i never use 5th or 6th gear so i dont have to worry about them. the only reason ive ever used 5th is when i was at the dunes. even then, i still didnt get into 6th. my duneable is actually pretty old. ive had it for almost 5 years now. back then they werent even offering a lot of the stuff they are now. i only need 2-4 at the hillclimbs anyway.

i read some foul shit about WCR. not sure id trust them.

mine is a 1-N-(2-4)-5-6

everything is in the same spot as stock. i never use 5th or 6th gear so i dont have to worry about them. the only reason ive ever used 5th is when i was at the dunes. even then, i still didnt get into 6th. my duneable is actually pretty old. ive had it for almost 5 years now. back then they werent even offering a lot of the stuff they are now. i only need 2-4 at the hillclimbs anyway.

i read some foul shit about WCR. not sure id trust them.

If you were to buy a new override today, what would you get and where would you go for it?

SP