Home made wiring harness.

meaderaca9

hey guys, im thinking about building a new wiring harness for my bike and i dont know where to get the connectors. should the local hardware store have them of am i gonna have to order them offline?

well, you might ba able to match the terminals up @ radio shack, and get the plugs from toyota, but you might get better prices online. you will have to buy terminal crimpers that fit the wire/terminals

I tried awhile back to find compatible terminals and connectors to build my own harness, but I could not find a source for them. I even tried talking to several vendors of aftermarket parts like stators, etc. and came up with nothing. I finally decided that if I was going to do it that I would convert everything over to Deutsch connectors. There are several sources for these- MSD, Ladd Industries, several sellers on Ebay, and most good auto parts stores can get them. They are liquid proof, dirt proof, sealed, easy to work with, and come in many configurations. They also lock together so they won't vibrate apart while riding. They make terminals that can be crimped with regular crimpers, or you can get the really good terminals that take their special crimpers. If you changed the connectors on the electrical components before you build the harness you can compensate for the wire you cut off the component when you build the harness After I built the harness, I figured that I would just need to carry a few terminals with me and then I could use a CDI box or switch or stator from any year Banshee to fix mine when it broke. Just cut the factory connector off the replacement part, crimp on the Deutsch terminals, disassemble the connector on the defective part and install it on the replacement part. If you find a source for the connectors that are an exact match for the OEM Yamaha connectors, be sure to post it so we all can benefit. Good luck.

I tried awhile back to find compatible terminals and connectors to build my own harness, but I could not find a source for them. I even tried talking to several vendors of aftermarket parts like stators, etc. and came up with nothing. I finally decided that if I was going to do it that I would convert everything over to Deutsch connectors. There are several sources for these- MSD, Ladd Industries, several sellers on Ebay, and most good auto parts stores can get them. They are liquid proof, dirt proof, sealed, easy to work with, and come in many configurations. They also lock together so they won't vibrate apart while riding. They make terminals that can be crimped with regular crimpers, or you can get the really good terminals that take their special crimpers. If you changed the connectors on the electrical components before you build the harness you can compensate for the wire you cut off the component when you build the harness After I built the harness, I figured that I would just need to carry a few terminals with me and then I could use a CDI box or switch or stator from any year Banshee to fix mine when it broke. Just cut the factory connector off the replacement part, crimp on the Deutsch terminals, disassemble the connector on the defective part and install it on the replacement part. If you find a source for the connectors that are an exact match for the OEM Yamaha connectors, be sure to post it so we all can benefit. Good luck.

once again, they are factory toyota connectors, and you can buy them from toyota @ a reasonable price.......in fact, i think it's tho only thing that you can get from toyota at a fair price.......i've posted in the past, but, if i remember, the round style is pre-'89 toyota pickup/4runner engine compartment, and the squared connectors are 89 to ?? engine compartment connectors. deutsch connectors are nice, to an extent, but i have found that they do not age and weather well over time, but last untill you need to disconnect them. gm weatherpack connectors are a nice alternative, that seems to last a bit longer, too, but are kind of bulky, and you may need the special sleeve tool to remove the terminals from the connector, depending on which style you get.

oh, and dielectric terminal grease ftw!........you will thank yourself when you have to unplug it 7 years down the road

Edited by AKheathen

thanks for the help guys. when my new cdi comes in im going to pull the tank off and check over the harness. if the wires are melted anywhere im probably just gonna rebuild the whole harness. now that i kno the probes just come out of the connectors im probably going to use the stock connectors.

once again, they are factory toyota connectors, and you can buy them from toyota @ a reasonable price.......in fact, i think it's tho only thing that you can get from toyota at a fair price.......i've posted in the past, but, if i remember, the round style is pre-'89 toyota pickup/4runner engine compartment, and the squared connectors are 89 to ?? engine compartment connectors. deutsch connectors are nice, to an extent, but i have found that they do not age and weather well over time, but last untill you need to disconnect them. gm weatherpack connectors are a nice alternative, that seems to last a bit longer, too, but are kind of bulky, and you may need the special sleeve tool to remove the terminals from the connector, depending on which style you get.

oh, and dielectric terminal grease ftw!........you will thank yourself when you have to unplug it 7 years down the road

I worked for a Hyster forklift dealer until last March and we had far fewer problems with the Deutsch connectors than we did the weatherpack connectors. The Deutsch connectors are rated for more amperage and less voltage drop than the weatherpacks. The only time we saw a failure with Deutsch connectors was melting in a fire, or if they got damaged from crushing or abrasion. We had weatherpacks failing contiuosly because they couldn't carry the load or were getting contaminated. I would recomend dielectric grease on any connector including Deutsch just because it makes getting them apart easier.

I was looking for a connector for my sportbike that was this weatherproof 3-wire triangular style. It wasn't until after I saw their selection I realized these were the same connectors on my shee!! Check out electrsport industries. I have provided a link of their connectors and wiring page. They also have the bullet-style connector with OEM-like insulation; clear and rubbery. These are much better than the red or blue plastic you find at the hardware store.

Hope this helps; It took me about a month of searching to find a source. I ended up buying a few different ones to save on future shipping costs.

I was looking for a connector for my sportbike that was this weatherproof 3-wire triangular style. It wasn't until after I saw their selection I realized these were the same connectors on my shee!! Check out electrsport industries. I have provided a link of their connectors and wiring page. They also have the bullet-style connector with OEM-like insulation; clear and rubbery. These are much better than the red or blue plastic you find at the hardware store.

Hope this helps; It took me about a month of searching to find a source. I ended up buying a few different ones to save on future shipping costs.

I had contacted these guys when I was looking for connectors and their reply said they were not compatible with OEM connectors so I did not pursue them further. I had thought that they probably had some little tab or notch so they wouldn't work. I did think about ordering some just to see but didn't. Has somebody actually odered and used them with the OEM connectors?

I had contacted these guys when I was looking for connectors and their reply said they were not compatible with OEM connectors so I did not pursue them further. I had thought that they probably had some little tab or notch so they wouldn't work. I did think about ordering some just to see but didn't. Has somebody actually odered and used them with the OEM connectors?

bansheeAndRider,

I only ordered the 2-pin type a and the three pin sealed connectors. From what I can tell, the three pin *should* be compatible with the TORS tops, but mine were removed before I owned the bike, so I can't test this. The three wire was 100% compatible with my sport bike though. The 2 wire I got will not fit the rear brake switch; you'll need type b.

Unfortunately, the 4 and 6 pin connectors on their site are clear, and appear to more closely match the clear 6-pin connection to my CDI. I just so happen to be redoing my harness, so I took a pic, below. The best way to tell the difference is the latching device; to unlock the white ones, you press on the female, and to unlock the clear ones, you pull the latch on the male.

PB210041.jpg

And the male end on the CDI:

PB210045.jpg

To summerize, yes and no. The 2 pin type B and 3 pin will fit. The 6 pin clear will fit your CDI.