Which Head?

bansheesandrider

Andy,

Most of that is personal opinion which we're all certainly entitled to.

Regarding the coolant volume. Do you have any 100% concrete proof that one head design offers improved cooling than another?

I've heard, read, heard, read...etc.

Never has anyone given me concrete proof...

I disagree, (again, purely opinion) about pinching the oring for the dome.

I've found the Chariot easier to work with, and less Orings to actually pinch than if you had a top and bottom shell (more Orings).

I just use RTV or grease on the rings (three per side) and put spark plugs in the domes, domes in the head, lower it all on. The best advice I could give anyone is to stretch the dome oring a little for the big bore domes.

Just a little, not much, so they don't "roll" over the lip.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have used Pro Design, Noss, and Chariot heads. All of them are ok.

The Pro Design was a little more of a PITA becasue of the studs.

The Noss was a great head. I only swapped it out to try the one peice out.

The Chariot was a little more difficult to keep the orings in place even using vasoline, but it looks great once its on.

I haven't actually checked volume on each head but I have seen both and know the inherit machining capabilities in the design of a one piece head. Now with that said I could def eat my own words and david probably knows the volume of his head or we could check both of them but either way you will prolly not see a temp drop from a few ounces of extra coolant. Now there are more orings in a two piece design but 99% of the time the oring that blows is the dome oring. But like I said dome design is what a head is all about and dave is a great dome designer and allows all the builders including me to design our own domes and cuts them virtually the same day. Now with all that said its still really a matter of prefrence to most people but that's my opinion.

ive never had a problem with o-rings in any application, i just use vaso.

i hold the head by the spark plug holes in the domes and slowly and carefully lower the head onto the studs.

this will be a never ending argument, but if anything goes wrong its more and likely your own fault haha.

If I were to buy new, i would go with Noss or Chariot. Both offer great quality and functionality.

Currently, and for the past 5 years I have been running the Trinity Stage IV Head. I have reused to o-rings a lot and have never had a leak. I just replaced the o-rings recently for piece of mind. No RTV, just a little Vaseline to help O-ring installation.

I would not recommend getting a Trinity head if you plan on playing with your dome sizes. They are like $150 a pair bangheadbanghead

My Chariot was a little more difficult to keep the orings in place becasue I had to tap mine in place. And this caused the prings to come out of the grooves. Once I got it on there, it was fine. For some reason my Noss slipped right down over the studs, while the Chariot needed a tap. Both are great products, either or will be a great choice.

Greg, any chance a stud or two was a little tweaked?

Only reason I ask is because I had the same issue on my cub. It fit, but it was snug going on.

Later on I ended up replacing all the studs with brand new, OEM studs. The head slid right on.

I think the Chariot very well might have tighter specs on the stud holes because it doesn't use orings on the studs, just brass washers and acorn nuts to seal.

I could be wrong, I never did measure my old Noss head.

Greg, any chance a stud or two was a little tweaked?

Only reason I ask is because I had the same issue on my cub. It fit, but it was snug going on.

Later on I ended up replacing all the studs with brand new, OEM studs. The head slid right on.

I think the Chariot very well might have tighter specs on the stud holes because it doesn't use orings on the studs, just brass washers and acorn nuts to seal.

I could be wrong, I never did measure my old Noss head.

I had the same issue with every head I've used. I've always chalked it up to tweaked studs or the cast of the cub.. Only head that I've ever had slip on easy was my Pro design, but I put it on a brand new stock motor... after that the head went on my cub and it needed some tapping on the studs to get it to slide down.. Had the same issue with a NOSS, CP head, and a chariot. I dont think it was from the head on any of them..

On a side note.. I'm actually kinda partial to the NOSS head myself. I'm waiting for Dave to make one for my DM.

Not that I dont like the chariot head.. I mean.. If you put 2 new heads on the table and asked which one I wanted.. I'd take the NOSS.. But.. if I was to buy a head.. The chariot being cheaper makes it a bit more appealing. Soo.. its a tuff call. I bought the chariot since it was cheaper.. I like it alot.. But I liked my prodesign and NOSS heads too.. Pick 2 and flip a coin! lol

I had a ADA head once.. and I sold it before I even got a chance to use it.. You can only get the domes from ADA..