Gearing a Wood Banshee

WantABanshee

well i would say that my 15/41 gearing is awesome for trails.

I agree because that's what i run. However, i think it would suck for a bike with less bottom end. I'm stroked and on race fuel. I didnt care for it much when i was just ported. If i road slower trails/terrain on just a piped bike, 13/41 would seem much better. Maybe get a 13t and 14t front sprocket. Front sprockets are easy to change.

• 2 weeks later...

Ha, yeah its always best to go with new stuff. New sprockets with a new chain everything molds together perfectly if you keep it lubed up. If your on a budget you can always cut a half link out of your chain and replace the most worn sprocket. Unless the teeth are really ground down on both or missing some. Seeing as you have T-3s Ide imagine it probably is worn though.

Best woods gearing is 13/41. Droping 1 down on the front will give you more lowend, quicker starts shorter shifting though. If you run alot of open spaces and do long hillclimbs I recomend stock gearing, if your in all sorts of tight shit just 13/41 and a non O ring chain. O Ring chains suck for mud and dirt.

Why does the O-ring stuff sucks for dirt??

people told me it was way better for everything

• 3 weeks later...

Why does the O-ring stuff sucks for dirt??

people told me it was way better for everything

yea thats what ive always heard too, that o ring chains are better for mud and dirt and where your chain gets all nasty. and non o-ring chains are better for dryer conditions where your chain stays cleaner.

• 2 months later...

What do you think would be a good starting place for 22" tires??

I'm pretty sure I'm at 13/44 now and it's got great snap but I'm shifting alot.

I really only ride mountain trails and don't have porting just the bolt ons listed in the sig

• 2 months later...

Mofoka - so you have 13/44 with your 22"?? If you think it´s too short, try 14/43 with the same chain or 13/42 with new chain. I´m not 100% if you need a new chain but anyway...

I have:

15/40 with my 18" asphalt tires (never used them but anyway)

14/41 with 20" holeshots and V-paddle Sand Sharks for MX/flat field and hill climbing

13/42 with 22" RazrII with 250 ice studs/tire in winter time. Ice tracks and MX.

13/42 is too short for my 20" but I could use a little shorter like 13/43-44 for my 22". My winter tires hooks so damn good and are kind of heavy.

I also have 47T rear sprocket just in case that some day I will buy a set of 22" 10 paddle Haulers and longer swing but then I need a new chain.

-Pasi S.

this thread is pretty old, but i'll chip in anyways- tire size really makes a big difference in gearing. for a 22- 13/40 or 13/41 does pretty nice, 12t front sprockets are pretty chancy, and i've seen pics of quality ones split in peices, not to mention strain on the chain. being in the woods, you want it geared pretty low. when i dropped, i planed on going back up, by dropping the rear as much as i could, for clearance, but the lower gearing really helps out, sinc i can spend allot more time in 2nd or 3rd on the trails/hill, but damn near stand still putting around in 1st in the woods, which meant allot less stalling out climbing trees and shit. but, the best advise is what you read of your needs- "i find myself shifting too much" definately calls for 1 tooth in the front, or 2-4 in the rear, mabey more, depending on the power. not nearly enough bottom end- gear down..... one big thing about chain adjustment- check the swingarm bearings first thing, before throwing money at new sprockets and chain, only to chew them up again and mabey snap a chain, which can be allot bigger trouble than just needing a new chain.

so I put on the 14/45 with the 22's and i'm not complaining at all.

I'll probably put the 44 on the back since i have one kicking around.

But really I had a fn blast on the last trip so I'm okay with my gearing and jetting right now.

...oh yeah tnx guys

Edited by mofoka