want to convert my race fuel motor back to unleaded fuel

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

start by looking at the bottom of the cylinders to see if there is a thick aluminum plate/gasket. you are going to have to remove that head and see what size domes are in there. roll it over to see how much the piston sticks out. once you remove the domes, the number should be stamped on the side. then we can go from there

yes there is a thick aluminum plate. Have not yet taken the head to check the domes.

Your partially right. But timming can be a decide factor. For example, my friend's banshee has 18cc domes an had +4 or +5 timming, cant remember, Vforce reeds and the cranking compression is like 175, the rest is stock, but everybody told use that we were crazy for running it on pump gas, 91 octane. We raced that bike every sunday for like 2 months straight he even took it on a 3 hour trail ride, never had a problem. But know we're running 110 because the timming got bumped up to +7.

Thats why we need to know what is done to the engine, dome size, bore, stroke. and timing. And that's what going to help him to see what he really needs.

I checked the timing plate and it about a notch 1/2 above the +5.

what ever you do .. dont run pump gas till we figure this out . otherwise u could blow the top end up = $$$$ . alot of people say they have "work done" which could even mean its been bored...

u need to find out if its ported ,open the stator cover (shifter side) ...see if it has a aftermarket timing plate (should have numbers on it) if not... might have to get a flywheel puller and see if it has a degree key for the flywheel.

if you can find out from the ower what was done, it would save you alot of trouble. ask about porting and timing, and compression if they know.

Just took the head of and the aluminum plate or gasket and check the domes and their was a 17 stamped on the side of the domes. Glade I check this because in the process of taking the heads of i had a bad seal or gasket. took pictures about to upload them in a bit.

Congratulations you have just purchased a 4mil stroker.... if you want to run pump gas i believe you need 20cc domes (not a stroker guy so im not sure), and only +4 timing.... but if that's too much trouble ill be happy to trade motors with you :evil:

Congratulations you have just purchased a 4mil stroker.... if you want to run pump gas i believe you need 20cc domes (not a stroker guy so im not sure), and only +4 timing.... but if that's too much trouble ill be happy to trade motors with you :evil:

4 mil? how did you determine that from the fact that he said he has 17cc domes. I highly doubt it. 17 cc domes on a 4mil is crazy high compression. I run 19cc domes in my 4 mil and that is almost 16:1 uccr. My guess is he has a 350. pics will help determine for sure. If you have a stock stroke motor, you are going to want 21 cc domes and set timing to around 4 degrees

x2....most likely that you have a hotrods 4 mill stroker with longrods and no porting. measure the base gasket to be sure. the plate that comes with the 4mill kit is 1.5mm(.060") thick. save yourself in the longrun, and find some 22 or 23cc 4mill domes to stay on pump without porting, and ditch the spacer plate. check to see if you are ported while you are at it. not porting a stroker to match will really hold back performance, so you may want to consider that, at least when you have to rebuild

You guys slow down on the recomendations. He has already admitted he knows next to nothing and you guys are all ASSuming he has a 4 mil. My guess is he has a 2 piece head, and that is the thick aluminum spacer he is talking about. Maybe not, bue wait for the pics to make sure. I am having a hard time believing he has a 4 mil due to the 17cc domes currently in there. Possible, but that will make crazy compression.

yea, im with rubberneck on this one.... 17 domes on a 4mil .. alittle high. i run 20cc on my 4 mil cub .

take a pic of the metal plate... could just be the metal gasket if its a stock head, or the 2 piece like said...

yes, will have to change jetting... stock carbs ??? dont think a 4 mil will have stock carbs.

are your pics in photobucket ?

x2....most likely that you have a hotrods 4 mill stroker with longrods and no porting. measure the base gasket to be sure. the plate that comes with the 4mill kit is 1.5mm(.060") thick. save yourself in the longrun, and find some 22 or 23cc 4mill domes to stay on pump without porting, and ditch the spacer plate. check to see if you are ported while you are at it. not porting a stroker to match will really hold back performance, so you may want to consider that, at least when you have to rebuild

Well I do remember them saying it was ported and polished so thats for sure. i measured that spacer plate with a measuring tape and its right at an 1/2inch think. I will tell you this the person i bought it from was a performance freak. cant get a hold of the guy i bought it from to get info on it because changed his number. what is the plate gasket is that the thick aluminum plate thats right under the head if so that is what i measured.

yea, im with rubberneck on this one.... 17 domes on a 4mil .. alittle high. i run 20cc on my 4 mil cub .

take a pic of the metal plate... could just be the metal gasket if its a stock head, or the 2 piece like said...

yes, will have to change jetting... stock carbs ??? dont think a 4 mil will have stock carbs.

are your pics in photobucket ?

whats photobuket try to upload them from my computer but error comes up.