First Upgrade?

Mr. O

Hello all,

First off, just registered here (great site, been lurking for a while now, but finally got around to registering...)

Anyways, my question is i'm kind of a noob about banshees - I've owned a 97 for about a year and a half now, it's a great quad, but I'm finally at the point where I want to start modding it a bit, so I wanted some advice from you guys about what in your opinion should be my first upgrade/mod (in terms of most important, and easiest or cheapest to do)

So far:

FMF pipes

K&N w/ open airbox

Jetted (not sure what my pilot and main size are tho.)

laser lights

Any suggestions on what I should do next? (I do mostly desert riding, plus a little trail stuff)

Thanks in advance for any advice you guys might be able to share!

well what are your goals??

power?

handling?

appearance?

power, look to maybe getting some port work done, advance the timing and so on

handling, anywhere from aftermarket shocks to extened a arms, axle

longer/shorter swinger

and appearance is pretty much a no brainer

Thanks for the reply man,

Your right, should have gone into a little more detail about what I want out of it.

I want to get a desert tank (I know it looks crappy but I ride with 4-stroke dirtbikes and their range is easily twice mine.) I want to get my suspension professionally done, but that's a little out of my price range at the moment.

-But I would like to get more power, but I just got finished paying it off so the cheaper/easier beginning upgrades/mods would be better for me, and being a noob I want to make sure it stays as reliable as possible.

question - If I just get new reeds would that give me more snap or is it better to get cages/reeds, or what?

Thanks again for all the help.

Bump up your compression be either shaving your stock head or buying a cool head and using smaller domes. Cool head looks good as well. Next would be to get a timing plate. They are less than $50 bucks and easy to put on. You will have to buy a flywheel puller ($15), but you should go ahead and buy one any way. Reeds will give you a little more throttle response, but I wouldn't spend a ton on them. I have been running the same boysen carbon fiber reeds for over three years now.

Thanks to everyone who posted in this thread, I really appreciate the advice.

-I'm gonna look up some more info about the coolhead mod and installing a timing plate, but does bumping up the compression make it less reliable in your guys' opinion or about the same? (As i mentioned before I'm a total newbie at this stuff, so the more reliable I can keep her the better)

And lastly, what do you think a real basic ballpark figure on how much it would cost to upgrade to the coolhead would be (assuming I bought smaller domes and didn't try to shave my stockers)

Thanks again!

Welcome. Just remember no matter what u do first....it will never be enough. LOL! Welcome to your new addiction dude. Hit me up when your ready too bling it out or need some parts and accessories.

I'm on the same boat i can't afford to go balls out right now. I'd suggest the timing plate its a pretty good mod for the money. As far as the desert tank goes, its not ugly at all, i always get compliments on mine. People always trip out and the big plus is i can hang witht the 4 strokes as far as riding goes.