UPP Intake

pr0blumz

During a leakdown test, the lower left bottom bolt on the left side of the motor has air coming from around it. I've tried everything and can't get it to seal. That the only place i have air coming from. What do you guys recommend? Thanks

I've got the same problem as we speak on my 421. Both intakes leak. The air is getting in between the inner metal layer of the boot, and the outer rubber layer. I put some yamabond on the entire surface of the intake boot. It helped some, but it still leaks down to about 3 lbs in about 3 minutes. I may have another leak somewhere, not sure. I'm gonna run mine as is. I have one more race this year. Probably investigate the leak further over the winter.

I've got the same problem as we speak on my 421. Both intakes leak. The air is getting in between the inner metal layer of the boot, and the outer rubber layer. I put some yamabond on the entire surface of the intake boot. It helped some, but it still leaks down to about 3 lbs in about 3 minutes. I may have another leak somewhere, not sure. I'm gonna run mine as is. I have one more race this year. Probably investigate the leak further over the winter.

Mine is a 421 also. Mine leaks down at about a pound a minute as well.

I guess cub cylinders are junk just like the boss intake since they leak too. :D

Could it be coming from inbetween the threads of the bolt and hole? Like if the bottom of the bolt hole is opean to the intake tract? If so you might try some type of thread sealer.

Yeah, Kevin sold me junk cylinders....ha! I thought about using thread sealer but I was running out of time before I had to go to work. I put some black silicone off in the bolt hole and I'm going to let that sit and dry until I get time to check it again.

If they're like mine, the leak isn't coming around the bolt itself. It's leaking between the layers of the intake boot, and it just escapes around the bolt holes in the intake where the rubber is cut out. Silicone on the treads doesn't help mine.

If they're like mine, the leak isn't coming around the bolt itself. It's leaking between the layers of the intake boot, and it just escapes around the bolt holes in the intake where the rubber is cut out. Silicone on the treads doesn't help mine.

I found out mine is leaking the same way. I'm going to try injecting some black silicone in between those those two layer and see if that helps.

Ok, I fixed the air leak. Now, I messed up my gaskets on that side by take them off so many times. I tried doing a leakdown test right after putting some silicone in place of both gaskets on that side but I kept getting an airleak. Should I wait until the glue has set for w while or do I need to use gaskets?

I found out mine is leaking the same way. I'm going to try injecting some black silicone in between those those two layer and see if that helps.

I may try the black silicone before I change out my intakes. I have another set of UPPs and some newly siliconed Boss intakes also (which I'm aware of the issue with those.)

Dave - the UPP intakes don't leak until after lots of abuse from the carb bouncing around. Your's should be fine for a long time. THese that I have are about 3 years old.

As much as I'd like to say the motor will be for sale after this year to go bigger, I just don't see it happening.

It's paid for, reliable and fun...so...I'll have to keep an eye on these for a while...:)

The leak down test kit I bought last year has not only saved my motor this year, but saved a buddies when he had a ton of epoxy leaks in his cases...

They are truly an invaluable tool!