what is the bottle

Michael66

i hate how boost bottles are labeled as shit. do i own one? no... and its because i got a internal cross over from my intake. cross overs help equalize the dual carb setup... they dont make any more hp or speed, like i said they equalize. bash me for this but i stand by it. buy one if you want but make it a finishing touch vs a performance upgrade.

i hate how boost bottles are labeled as shit. do i own one? no... and its because i got a internal cross over from my intake. cross overs help equalize the dual carb setup... they dont make any more hp or speed, like i said they equalize. bash me for this but i stand by it. buy one if you want but make it a finishing touch vs a performance upgrade.

Not bashing you or anything, but why is carb equalization necessary? If it doesn't make HP or speed, what is the point. It doesn't increase or decrease reliability.

I am with Dave. Sync carbs and live on.

SP

Please tell me how a Boost Bottle does a better job equalizing than the stock crossover tube?

We are not against carb equalization. I rarely see people saying to ditch the boost bottle and to plug the holes. I usually see people saying "replace it with a stock crossover tube."

#1 A boost bottle weighs more than the stock crossover tube

#2 the boost bottle is taller than the stock crossover.

So you have a heavier boost bottle that is taller than the stock crossover. The extra hight allows the extra weight to apply more damaging forces to the rubber intake boots. It is like using a longer cheater handle on a wrench when you have a tight bolt.

The is an anomaly in the intake tract of the Banshee. What we think we have discovered is, because there is a sonic wave at work in any confined space, (like the exhaust pipe or intake tubes) this wave must be timed to help you with that which you are trying to accomplish, as with the exhaust pipe. There will be some rpm range where the wave will be most out of phase, and an area where it will be most in phase, hopefully we can arrange the in-phase part while the pipe is having its in-phase part....! That is why you feel the big burst of power when the pipe kicks in, because these waves are working in harmony.

On the Banshee the most out-of-phase area is right before it synchronizes with the pipe.... so 4000 to 5000 rpm, then at 6000 it starts harmonizing it's pumping action and you feel the pull in the handlebars!

What is happening actually is that this wave is being reflected back and forth inside the intake tube (tract) regardless of the fact that the air is only moving in one direction, the wave, which has little if any mass, can travel in both directions and does... Each time it does, it passes the needle jet and when it does, it pulls fuel. When this happens there might be a piston stroke with several helpings of fuel instead of just one, therefore it is rich.

The intake tract is too short, and this is one reason why it is a bad idea to put the little K&N filters on the back of each carb, effectively shortening the intake tract even more.

It is also a GOOD reason to use our 2:1 filter system because we add about 3 or more inches to the length of the intake tract, helping to lengthen the time it takes for this wave to propagate from one end to the other, and to keep the resultant mixture confined so it may be used and not spit back into a filter....

Because this is an RPM specific phenomena, it cannot be "jetted out" because conditions change in response to RPM, not throttle position. If it was at a particular throttle setting, then we could easily say, that at this setting, certain circuits are active and make adjustments accordingly, but it is not. Raise the rpm a little and it goes away. This is one of the reasons Yamaha chose to put the "cross-over" tube between the intake manifolds. This makes one intake tube think it is larger than it really is (as far as sound propagation goes) therefore lowering the frequency of the sound wave, dampening the effects. You can try this experiment yourself, just remove the crossover tube and be sure to plug up the holes in the intake manifolds from which the tube came, then ride it. You will see the difference!

This is also where the "Boost Bottle" argument comes in....

Yes, there must be the cross-over tube, but the engine couldn't care less how big it is.... this tube is used to communicate the volume information from side to side, not to magically "store-and-forward" mixture for later use, as some have alleged. Nor is it able (as far as we can detect) to allow mixture to be drawn from both carbs at once..... So the "Boost Bottle" as a performance product is a complete placebo and only serves the manufacturer's pocket, not the customer's needs. Beware of companies who sell this kind of thing, they are not being true.

Remember, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is....