Tough shifting

I have a bitch of a time finding neutral when the motor is running and i have to apply some serious might to shift under heavy load like when climbing hills.

Does anyone have experience with the shift shaft mod that F.A.S.T offers? How does it compare with the modded shift star?

your gears/dogs are just staying locked in like they were designed to do. simply blip/studder the throttle, or use the clutch to relieve the gear load during the shift.the shift star mod simply makes it easier to move the shift drum with the lever, but will not help with loaded gears, and the shift shaft mod also makes the lever easier to move, but again, unloded movement. you can shell out some real $$$ for an override if you need to keep it pinned and shift, but that's a comlpetely reworked drum and gearset, and doesn't like much backloading. i've decided that it's not for me for that reason, and blipping/clutching works just fine

your gears/dogs are just staying locked in like they were designed to do. simply blip/studder the throttle, or use the clutch to relieve the gear load during the shift.the shift star mod simply makes it easier to move the shift drum with the lever, but will not help with loaded gears, and the shift shaft mod also makes the lever easier to move, but again, unloded movement. you can shell out some real $$$ for an override if you need to keep it pinned and shift, but that's a comlpetely reworked drum and gearset, and doesn't like much backloading. i've decided that it's not for me for that reason, and blipping/clutching works just fine

I'm now getting a price for a Dunable1-4 manual 5-6, by the info I got you can gently backload a dunable under 8000 rpm. Is that true and is it the only inconvenient of a dunable tranny ?

I know kevin form HJR can offer to modify your dogs to facilliate the enfagement of the gear (half are removed and the dogs slider are angled), have you any info on that mod ?

I'm now getting a price for a Dunable1-4 manual 5-6, by the info I got you can gently backload a dunable under 8000 rpm. Is that true and is it the only inconvenient of a dunable tranny ?

I know kevin form HJR can offer to modify your dogs to facilliate the enfagement of the gear (half are removed and the dogs slider are angled), have you any info on that mod ?

There is nothing "gentle" about backloading an override at 8000. I know what is said about backloading them, not breaking forks, just bending/wearing them out after a while, etc.

I've always gone on the premise you can backload them all day long under 8K RPM....etc.

My experience has taught me otherwise.

I'm going to say this, so don't take offense. There is no such thing as a trail bike override.

Anyone that thinks they can backload the shit out of a dunable is mistaken. Will it take it a few times? Yep, sure will.

After that, it will start to score up the trans shafts and fork shafts from the forks being jammed into their shafts.

Andy @MM made a comment about having a trans soon that can be backloaded all the time without hurting the shift forks at all.

They are even offering a 3 month warranty.

I trust Andy, but...I'm very skeptical of one of these long term...like a full season...or 2 or three.

The mod Kevin does will make shifting a higher horsepower bike easier under load. By NO means is it designed to be upshifted under full load at WOT throttle without the clutch. If you want to trail ride a bike and need all 6 gears, this might be the way to go.

I have a ton of these transmissions out there....the 2-3 failures I've had the customer fully admitted to backloading the hell out of them to "see how strong they are" or downshifting it under full power without pulling the clutch.

I don't consider that a transmission failure, I consider that rider error...or misunderstanding.

There is nothing "gentle" about backloading an override at 8000. I know what is said about backloading them, not breaking forks, just bending/wearing them out after a while, etc.

I've always gone on the premise you can backload them all day long under 8K RPM....etc.

My experience has taught me otherwise.

I'm going to say this, so don't take offense. There is no such thing as a trail bike override.

Anyone that thinks they can backload the shit out of a dunable is mistaken. Will it take it a few times? Yep, sure will.

After that, it will start to score up the trans shafts and fork shafts from the forks being jammed into their shafts.

The mod Kevin does will make shifting a higher horsepower bike easier under load. By NO means is it designed to be upshifted under full load at WOT throttle without the clutch. If you want to trail ride a bike and need all 6 gears, this might be the way to go.

thanks for the clarification, I might be considering the Kevin tranny mod and keep using my clutch ...

timing with the throttle, but i suppose yopu could have the shift drum modded for neutral all the way down. i can see you also hitting neutral by accident if you downshift alot without counting what gear you're in. thre might be a drum mod that helps while keeping the same sequence, but changing the timing a little. i just clutch it real quick when it happens :shrug: anyone know of someone who can just widen the dogs a little, instead of cutting every other one out? i think that would be the key to making it shift easier, but still hold up to backloading on a trail bike.

what works best to eliminate hitting neutral from the 1-2 shift? both of my banshees do it, when your really getting on it. i dont have any other shifting problems, finding neutral at idle is easy, and i dont find it hard to shift gears. modded star?

Try adjusting your gear lever height so that your boot fits better . It sometimes happens if you dont push the lever up high enough while shifting

yea it only happens when im drag racing. i think its probably because im a size 13 shoe, and the AXO constructor boots make it a little harder to shift. when i need new boots, im going to try the thor 50/50 boots, the toe seems slimmer, so i could get some more leverage to bang 2nd. what would really be the best, is if i could get a 1" longer shifter made. i asked cascade, but they said no.

yea it only happens when im drag racing. i think its probably because im a size 13 shoe, and the AXO constructor boots make it a little harder to shift. when i need new boots, im going to try the thor 50/50 boots, the toe seems slimmer, so i could get some more leverage to bang 2nd. what would really be the best, is if i could get a 1" longer shifter made. i asked cascade, but they said no.

What gearing do you have? You ever try coming out the hole in 2nd, if you're stock gearing or close, that would be your best bet. It would solve your neutral problem plus get you a better jump on the competition, thats what most use on the banshee's unless their geared way high.

why doesn't anyone take the time to figure out how to cut the tranny to be somewhere between stock and "dunable" so it helps in both arenas? Is it really that hard to put a small radius on the corner of the dogs to help it slide out? I understand there is a fine line to walk here, but as long as the angle on the flat side of the dogs aren't changed, then it doesn't force it out of gear when you backload them. i'm just saying......a.060 radius would do some good there without letting them push apart.