newbe here

logger

I joined the site to learn what i can about Banshee's as my grandson(14yrs. old) knows alot more than I do.He just aquired his first Banshee a 96 w/04 rebuilt overbored(40ci) engine.He is an experienced rider for his age as he raced motox since age 7,had a Blaster prior to this Banshee. He is VERY proud of his Blaster let me tell you.Anyway i was wondering if all Blaster start hard cold.Takes him 20 to 30 min. of kicking to get it started.Once started and warmed up it will fire right up. He was told by the adult he got it from that they all start hard like that cold. I would just like some input from the experts here.Seems to be a well maintained machine but I'm not knowledgeable about these things at all,thats why I'm here.

20 to 30 mins? thats def not normal. it either need a rebuild or the jetting is way off in the carb. its possible that the pilot jet could be partially plugged up as well.

i would do a compression test and clean the carb out well. make sure the pilot and main jets are not plugged in any way.

I want to thank you for your comments,I appreciate it alot. I wasn't there when this deal went down so don't know much about it.My daughter is divorced so my grandson has only his ltd. knowledge to rely on. I 'm fearing he got ripped in this deal and pray that I'm wrong.He is a very nice young man. Is this top end work a major fix or is it somthing we could handle.I have plenty of tools and will get a shop manual.

I want to thank you for your comments,I appreciate it alot. I wasn't there when this deal went down so don't know much about it.My daughter is divorced so my grandson has only his ltd. knowledge to rely on. I 'm fearing he got ripped in this deal and pray that I'm wrong.He is a very nice young man. Is this top end work a major fix or is it somthing we could handle.I have plenty of tools and will get a shop manual.

with the right tools a manual and patients i am sure you can do it......plus it will be good quality time for you both.

Welcome! :beer:

Compression tester, carb spray, and compressed air should get you going in the right direction. Take note on the numbers engraved on the pilot and main jets of your carbs. Check the main board under the carb and jetting header, there may be some pinned information there worth looking at.

Clymer's Manuals are very helpful and you can usually get a new one off Ebay for $25.

Edited by black sunshine

What Larry's saying is that some of the parts interchange, but do not work! The banshee's start very easy when tuned right and decent compression. That should be in the range of around 125psi per cylinder depending on where you are located and what has been done to the bike, lot of variables. Mine will start 1st or 2nd kick cold every time, and your grandson's bike will too when ur done.

Welcome to the site, you'll learn what you need to know here.