Got my first banshee project...inherited catastrophic failure

lmaloch

Well picked it up last night for $900 thinking it needed a topend rebuild. Guy said it was running on 1 cyl two years ago so it was put up in his garage. Got it home, tore it down and what do i find?

Broken piston, rod, jug, head and crank. HOPEFULLY the case survived won't know till later. Not sure how i'm going to continue with the rebuild, guess its research time. Heres a few pictures.

I'm still excited to finally have a banshee instead of my blaster. :biggrin:

Picture001.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Picture003.jpg

Picture004.jpg

Picture005.jpg

Picture006.jpg

I purchased it expecting the worst but i'm happy with it overall. Rest of it is in really good shape and it has an fmf sst pipe set on it so i don't think i did too bad. When it's all said and done i hope to still have less into it than a nice rinning banshee would have cost me around here. Unless i go nuts with the motor rebuild. :cool:

If the thing has a title then it was an ok buy, for a 2003 in that shape it looks like the guy didnt care much about it. But never fear, I bought my '96 in the exact same condition about 7 years ago for $1500!But I could honestly say, the only parts that are from a '96 are the cases, shifting mechanisms, and the rear dog bone lol.

is there something wrong with red and yellow banshees? I bought one last month for 700 that has the same story. The kid told me it was running crappy because it needed carb work. I got there to find it didnt run at all and when he finally got it to go it was on one cylinder. I was hoping for a top end but ended up doing the bottom as well. Oh well I love to work on stuff so its all good. Good luck Im sure it will be a fun project.

Well picked it up last night for $900 thinking it needed a topend rebuild. Guy said it was running on 1 cyl two years ago so it was put up in his garage. Got it home, tore it down and what do i find?

Broken piston, rod, jug, head and crank. HOPEFULLY the case survived won't know till later. Not sure how i'm going to continue with the rebuild, guess its research time. Heres a few pictures.

I'm still excited to finally have a banshee instead of my blaster. :biggrin:

Picture001.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Picture003.jpg

Picture004.jpg

Picture005.jpg

Picture006.jpg

Look closely in the 3rd pic the sleeve is cracked on the outside.

is there something wrong with red and yellow banshees? I bought one last month for 700 that has the same story. The kid told me it was running crappy because it needed carb work. I got there to find it didnt run at all and when he finally got it to go it was on one cylinder. I was hoping for a top end but ended up doing the bottom as well. Oh well I love to work on stuff so its all good. Good luck Im sure it will be a fun project.

The only red on this one is the hubs. Otherwise it's black plastics. Should have posted a picture of before i took it apart. I'll see if i can find one tonight.

Look closely in the 3rd pic the sleeve is cracked on the outside.

Yep, thats why i said jug was trash. Guess i could get another sleeve installed but i figured it would be cheaper to just find another jug.