HOW BAD IS IT

Whats up everyone! I'm fairly new to the Banshee world and I have now encountered my first problem. So heres my story, I just re jetted my banshee about a week ago and went out riding during the weekend with no problems. Today I went out for a ride again and it seemed like it was a little lean on the bottom end from 0 to 1/4 throttle. After ridig for about an hour I was on my way home when it felt and heard like if my left piston stopped working. I shut it off then tried restarting and it never did. Any ideas of what it could be? What is the first thing I should check out?

FMF fattys

K&N filter

270 Mains

stock pilots

4000 ft elev.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It felt lean on the bottom but you rode it for an hour anyways? :shoothead:

Start by pulling the spark plugs out, if you see aluminum, pull the head off.

:shoothead: I agree...So I pulled both plugs out and they seem pretty normal to me. No aluminum on either one, not shiny, they are a light brown color and seem a little rich. What now? Thanks!

shinny like um silver or what??

and by the way how do u tell if your base gasekt is bad or leaking because when i kick it i can here air

You know you have had all kinds of problems with your bike and IMO I think you need to just take the top end apart and fix all your issues. It show you the problems and you won't be chasing all these problems. The bike was trying to tell you it was sick when you "said" you ran it out of gas but yet you herd air hissing out the head. You keep on jacking with it and not fixing the problem you will end up spending alot of money. I know you said you were like 15 yrs old so you may as well learn now how to fix it if you are going to keep it.

You know you have had all kinds of problems with your bike and IMO I think you need to just take the top end apart and fix all your issues. It show you the problems and you won't be chasing all these problems. The bike was trying to tell you it was sick when you "said" you ran it out of gas but yet you herd air hissing out the head. You keep on jacking with it and not fixing the problem you will end up spending alot of money. I know you said you were like 15 yrs old so you may as well learn now how to fix it if you are going to keep it.

yup i figured out what it is its the base gasket went out its leaking compression on the left side im going to do a compression test on the pistons and take it all apart and see if it needs a top end im going to do it all instead of trying to go the cheap way

yes, its pretty much blown. the ring on the left piston got crispy due to a lean condition caused by an air leak. as you continued to try to run it, peices of the ring flew about inside the cylinder scratching up the wall and pittng the head. more continual use caused damage to the crank shaft. this caused the left cylinder to loose most of its compression causing it not to fire properly untill the condition became so bad to the point where as it does not fire at all. look on the bright side though, now is the time to make it faster and stronger.

im just guessing here really. i'de just rebuild the top end, mill the head and probably have to bore the cylinders... and while you got it torn apart take the crank to a shop and have it checked out.

yup i figured out what it is its the base gasket went out its leaking compression on the left side im going to do a compression test on the pistons and take it all apart and see if it needs a top end im going to do it all instead of trying to go the cheap way

A compression test will not tell you of a leaking base gasket.

A leak down/vaccuum test will.

yes, its pretty much blown. the ring on the left piston got crispy due to a lean condition caused by an air leak. as you continued to try to run it, peices of the ring flew about inside the cylinder scratching up the wall and pittng the head. more continual use caused damage to the crank shaft. this caused the left cylinder to loose most of its compression causing it not to fire properly untill the condition became so bad to the point where as it does not fire at all. look on the bright side though, now is the time to make it faster and stronger.

im just guessing here really. i'de just rebuild the top end, mill the head and probably have to bore the cylinders... and while you got it torn apart take the crank to a shop and have it checked out.

mine aint blowing it stills starts its just that it is leaking there

mi