300' sand drags

patrickkomar

So there is going to be a 300' sand drag near me and I would like to go play but I've never raced or drag raced on an atv. The class I'm going to be running in is super stock, from my under standing is an all bolt on class. Any tips tricks or advice you guys have for the first timer?

My bike

2000 shee

.060 over wiseco big window pistons

stock crank and carbs w/k&n pods

pro design cool head 18cc domes

timing set at +4

toomey t-5s

21x12-8 10 paddle haulers/ sand hawks up front

14/44 gearing

pump gas w/klotz

Oh and the bad news the 2 stroke and 4 strokes all get lumped together in this class and they do allow the 4 strokers to have cams changes. :down:

I would try to go on a test & tune day first.

one thing I seen alot of guys doing at the light was they would move up to the first light stop and get situated/ in the right mind set then move up to the second. it might sound silly but once you hit the second light the tree comes at you pretty fast.

I drop clutch on the third light.

By the time it all ahappens the green one will be there.

Dont worry abour red light.

Just drop clutch on theird light. WHIC IS THE LIGHT BEFORE GREEN.

and youll be fine.

:thumbsup:

lol - Good Advise !

I drop clutch on the third light.

By the time it all ahappens the green one will be there.

Dont worry abour red light.

Just drop clutch on theird light. WHIC IS THE LIGHT BEFORE GREEN.

and youll be fine.

that is good advise if it's not a pro tree. with a pro tree, all three ambers light at once and then the green. i actually prefer that over a bracket tree.

thanks guys! I'm not sure what kind of tree they are going to run but I'll ask the guys at the shop I picked up the flyer from there pretty big in to the drags. My tune should be pretty spot on the drags are just a few miles from my home dunes here in ut. but I know there is no really good way for me to get good at cutting lights with out practice on the track. I do get 3 practice runs day of event and I know of a few web sites aimed at reaction time practice but there all geared for drag cars were you launch of the trans brake. Quick question do most of you launch out of 2nd gear?

I'm going to assume you're talking about the delta track?? They run a pro tree there. With the sand conditions and paddles/mods you have you're going to probably want to run 14/45 depending on your weight and launch in second. It's a nice track, hope I can make it to the July race. I fit thier rules for the modified class on my 350 duner, but I guess they plan to jump me to the hillshooter class the next time I'm out :unsure: It's a good time, hope to see you out there!

thanks for the links to the trees that ought to help :biggrin:! and yup it's the delta drags and I plan on going barring a major problems coming up! I'll have to dig a up a pic of my pos and post it!

And time for another stupid question.....what is a good reaction time? I was getting right around .515 on the sportsman tree and .530 to 590s on the pro.

Edited by patrickkomar