dodge ram trouble

bansheebarnes

ive had a 1994 dodge ram short box reg cab for over a year now. it is a automatic trans. with 4x4. the engine is a 5.9 or 360ci. its fuel injected. the truck itself has 228k miles on it. but in surprisingly good shape. the transmission was replaced at 130k.

when i bought the truck it had the problem....we put a new fuel pump in it ( it was going out) and we hoped this would solve it...but it didnt and i have been living with it for a year.

the problem: when i let off of the gas the rpm's dive down very low, and sometimes dies. i discovered when i rev the gas quick it goes back to idle smooth. at highway speeds the problem is not noticeable because you're going fast the engine doesn't go back to idle. i can live with it just having to rev it when going really slow. but for parallel parking i always think im going to hit a car. and due to the fact i have duel cherry bomb exhaust i look like a douche bag revving my engine every time i go slow in town (tight traffic).

what could be casuing the rpms to drop like that? but not do it when i let of the trottle fast.

any suggestions would be appreciated. thanks

Sounds like clogged fuel injectors.Instead of a constant steady spray of fuel it's doing more of a spitting kind of deal...A buddy of mine worked at Uncle Ed's oil shoppe and i had him clean em.Cost me about 40 bucks but it ran A-1 after that.

Being a dodge its likely the IAC (idle air control) valve , if that old has one, just get a can of throttle body cleaner and spray it really good while its running and holding the RPM's up some. if its not dirty, clogged, or not working then its probably a fuel problem

Being a dodge its likely the IAC (idle air control) valve , if that old has one, just get a can of throttle body cleaner and spray it really good while its running and holding the RPM's up some. if its not dirty, clogged, or not working then its probably a fuel problem

sorry if i forgot this at the begining. it runs perfect until the engine warms up above about 130 degrees. then this problem starts. when i cold start it, it is fine.

I had a similar problem with my old truck and it was the oxygen sensor in the exhaust. Does your mileage drop at all when it's doing it?

im getting around 10-12 mpg. i have nothing to compare it to. it does it all of the time. we scanned it with the computer thing, and it doesnt say that the 02 sensors are bad. however. there is one on the Cat. and the cat converter on mine is hollowed out. would that mess it up?

im getting around 10-12 mpg. i have nothing to compare it to. it does it all of the time. we scanned it with the computer thing, and it doesnt say that the 02 sensors are bad. however. there is one on the Cat. and the cat converter on mine is hollowed out. would that mess it up?

Mine wouldn't even trip the CEL when it went bad. If the sensor is on the front of the cat you are fine. If it is on the back it may be fucking with you. It wouldn't be getting the right reading without the cat. Mine was on the front of the cat so when I put dual straight pipes on it (no cat) I just had a bung welded in one of them and stuck the sensor in it. Worked fine for me. But when that sensor went bad it would make the truck not want to idle (try around 200 RPM not the usual 500-700 I was used to) and you had to stay in it to keep it running. It would dump so much fuel thinking it was lean when it wasn't that my mileage would go from 13-16 all the way down to around 7-10.

go join www.dieseltruckresource.com it's a dodge diesel website.

I think this is with a gasser, which I'm assuming it is since he said Reg Cab Short Box and it's Fuel Injected. But granted some of the fellas over on DTR will have experience with the gassers :geek:

Do you know what your problem is

You bought a piece of shit fucking dodge.......Don't worry i got sucked in myself. I drive a dodge every morning and it feels like a swift kick in the nuts.

Now now Cody, some of us don't mind Dodges and enjoy driving them :biggrin:

bansheebarnes, any luck yet?

I hear stupid ass anti brand comments like that daily since i drive a damn ford.
But its like you said your driving a ford and he's fixing a dodge. Enuff said!!!