How does DNR check spark arrestor?

most DNR officers have been around the block.

they know what pipes have sparkys in them and ones that dont.

got busted a few times at the dunes for screens in my toomeys that I put there.

I finally got tired of it and got a sparky kit 2 into 1.

Yeah. I heard of people in Michigan getting busted with aluminum window screen in their silencers. The DNR guys probably have enough experience to know who is running a legit setup. I know my silencers (FMF TurbineCore II's) are stamped right on them saying that they are forestry approved.

The guy at CPI told me when was talking to the Forest service about certifcation for pipes they issue a # that is stamped on the silencer and that is how they tell if it real or not. Here in Colorado the guy I talked said they carry a list with the numbers on it to check to see if it is legal, H esaid they are going to be strict this year.

During the Summer at Silver Lake dunes when I go they usually have a small probe that measures .025" in diameter that is inserted into the screen. If it goes thru then they are no good. Window screen is larger than .025", that's why it doesn't work. Plus the screen in spark arrestors is much heavier guage than window screen. I'm sure you could find some screen under the .025" range with an internet search and make some.

During the Summer at Silver Lake dunes when I go they usually have a small probe that measures .025" in diameter that is inserted into the screen. If it goes thru then they are no good. Window screen is larger than .025", that's why it doesn't work. Plus the screen in spark arrestors is much heavier guage than window screen. I'm sure you could find some screen under the .025" range with an internet search and make some.

I have been through this. You may get in once or twice, but any of the experienced officers will turn you around and your day, weekend, or week will be ruined or you will be paying $160 to Dunelands for a set of sparkys that because you had to quick rig them up will prolly fall off in the dunes anyway and you will be right back at square one. And now I am hearing rumors that sparky's are being discontinued???? I find this hard to believe, but unless you want to go through a load of trouble, I would get things squared away the right way before you go.

Yep...buy the right ones, clamp 'em down right.

To be honest, on a non-busy or non-holiday weekend, you may or may not get away with it.

Otherwise, they will be on your ass.

They know what sparkies look like, they've seen thousands upon thousands of off road vehicles, they will look for a US Forrestry approved stamping and/or poke 'em to check.

It's a 150 dollar fine...vs. 160 for a pair you'll have for as long as you have the bike.

I hate it, it sucks...they look like ass, load up with oil, etc.

That, or don't ride....

:confused:

or just go where I go, silver lake is the only place that checks for SA, that and the mounds.

I just hit trails and sand pits. they dont bother you there. even if you run into DNR, they dont check your arrestors. thats if you even see anyone.

I go where its free, dont need a parks sticker and dont have to pay to get in, just your ORV sticker. much less hassle, alot more fun, the dunes are great for an hour, then you get bored. the trails are non stop, and when you get to the end, you can go back or take another trail home, stop at towns, gas up, eat and dont have to deal with sand rails and trucks running you over.