Just joined the Banshee family

Hi i am a newbie and have questions on my Banshee. Its supposed to be an 87, the engine number is 2GU-009989 and i can't find the seriel number on the frame to look up on the topic posted on how to determine the year. I am new to the Banshee i have rode buddies Banshee's and loved them, i always had trx250's. Ok the guy says its a rebuilt motor, you can tell its been apart, he says its .010 over piston. Ok what octane gas should i run? What oil should i pre-mix in it? i use amsoil for my dirtbikes and snowmobiles. What ratio gas to oil? He just has a boost bottle and that all. What gears should i dun in it, i ran a 12 tooth front and stock in rear on my 250. I will be doing alot of trails and race up hills, sand hills one called BULL GAP in Michigan. i just want it to stay together but yet hold its own against other quads. Should i check what the c-clip in the carbs are at? Also i want to change the tranny oil what should i use? Sorry for so many questions i am excited to finally have a banshee and want to get it ready to ride this weekend. Thanks in advance. :biggrin: P.S the guy i got it from said he was running 110 octane which i think is way to much probably robbing it of horsepower. I know when i dynoed my race car motor in my mustang to much octane robbed me power. Thanks also if i did a compression check on it, what should the compression be? It feels real strong. I want to put reeds in it to, the airbox cover is still on and untouched, all my buddies had holes drilled in theirs.

Edited by Steves banshee

Hi i am a newbie and have questions on my Banshee. Its supposed to be an 87, the engine number is 2GU-009989 and i can't find the seriel number on the frame to look up on the topic posted on how to determine the year. I am new to the Banshee i have rode buddies Banshee's and loved them, i always had trx250's. Ok the guy says its a rebuilt motor, you can tell its been apart, he says its .010 over piston. Ok what octane gas should i run? What oil should i pre-mix in it? i use amsoil for my dirtbikes and snowmobiles. What ratio gas to oil? He just has a boost bottle and that all. What gears should i dun in it, i ran a 12 tooth front and stock in rear on my 250. I will be doing alot of trails and race up hills, sand hills one called BULL GAP in Michigan. i just want it to stay together but yet hold its own against other quads. Should i check what the c-clip in the carbs are at? Also i want to change the tranny oil what should i use? Sorry for so many questions i am excited to finally have a banshee and want to get it ready to ride this weekend. Thanks in advance. :biggrin: P.S the guy i got it from said he was running 110 octane which i think is way to much probably robbing it of horsepower. I know when i dynoed my race car motor in my mustang to much octane robbed me power. Thanks also if i did a compression check on it, what should the compression be? It feels real strong. I want to put reeds in it to, the airbox cover is still on and untouched, all my buddies had holes drilled in theirs.

welcome to the bhq..you stickd here long enough and all will be answer........as far as compression goes it changes with altitude...here at sea level it should be oround 135/140 for a stock banshee

Nice to see a fellow Buckeye-hater on board :blink:

Either the guy you bought it from shaved the head and/or advanced the timing, or he just liked the smell of race gas. You may want to ask him.

If your going to be riding in water/mud, the airbox lid is a good idea. The lid and snorkel restrict the airflow, though.

Any mods? Stock pipes?

Welcome :beer:

If he was running race fuel, it might need it. Easy way to check is do a compression check. Anything over 150ish then you need higher octane than pump gas. But if the stock head wasnt milled or other things, i doubt that.

I run my oil at 40:1. But everyone has it's own opinions on that. Amsoil will be ok. I used to run that but the lack of caster oil made me switch. I love the smell of it.

Stock gearing will be fine. Or if you ride sand, maybe go one smaller in the front. As long as it revs crisp in neutral and 1/4 throttle to 3/4 is crisp and good, your needle clip should be ok. You can always go one clip richer and see if it bogs.

With just a boost bottle, you will not be keeping up with any of today's bikes. Actually boost bottles does nothing. Over time from bouncing on the rubber boots, they can cause the rubber boots on the carbs where it attaches to crack. Just make sure she is jetted/tune right and enjoy her as is. Welcome aboard!

I am from Jerome Michigan which is by Michigan International Speeday(15 miles west)(about 30 miles from Coldwater). I am originally from Westland Michigan. All you guys have some nice Banshees and sounds like they fly, and looks like it by the pictures i see to. They all look sweet. Ya i always loved a Banshee. They hold their own against anything from the day they were built to the current day. i just cant wait to play with the 450's at BULL GAP. I see the Banshee wins some and loses some against them 450's but the Banshee still flies and the Baddest quad. i love mine so far and all the one's i rode before. Thanks for all your replies, i hope i can get my Banshee to look half as good most of yours. The guy painted frame blue, a-arms red and dull black over the the white fenders. i am gonna get new plastic, maybe gloss paint the fenders for now and put my own graphics on it, i have my own vinyl graphics cutter to design my own. Thanks :biggrin: mine looks good other then the primered black fenders. Some tlc and it will be good, i got it for cheap($1,600), i seen alot of others for 2grand plus but all them had been beaten and time for rebuild. this one i seen for sure the motor is fresh, and it feels real good and crisp. i will know more this weekend when i hit the trails and race up the Steep sand hill at Bull Gap. Its has stock pipes, as far as i know it only has a boost bottle, dont know what kind but it looks alot different then stock, its supposed to have stock reeds. It's supposed to be all stock except for .010 pistons.

Edited by Steves banshee

I asked the guy i bought it from and he said he was told to run that much octane. I think he liked the smell of it. I hear alot of guys when i race my sled running more octane then they need. I know its different, but i have a stock 2004 and a stock 2005 Arctic Cat ZR 900 sno pro's and they can run 87 octane, it says right in the manual, so i run it, its safe and i can save cash. I know its different probably with the Banshe i have though

Either the guy you bought it from shaved the head and/or advanced the timing, or he just liked the smell of race gas. You may want to ask him.

If your going to be riding in water/mud, the airbox lid is a good idea. The lid and snorkel restrict the airflow, though.

Any mods? Stock pipes?

Edited by Steves banshee

I do alot of my riding close to oscoda and camp at the rifle river place in Lupton not far from oscoda. Oscoda is nice, my buddied from michigan hot boat association used to go up to the tipper dam i think its called. :biggrin:

Just curious bro, what part of Michigan be you from? :biggrin: I am in oscoda ( Iosco county)

the airbox is untouched. i have a polaris sportman 500 h.o to and the airbox has a piece that goes up under the gas tank, the airbox on my Banshee just has the cover with a oval shape at the front and thats it i dont know if its missing anything that connects to that and goes foward to keep dry or not?

Any mods? Stock pipes?

thanks for your info, i remember back in 1989 when 2 of my buddies bought new banshees, the boost bottle was the thing to get, drill holes in the airbox, reeds and clutching, and my one had paul turner pipes, dont know if that kind exist anymore or not, thats what i had on my trx 250 and boysen dual stage reeds. But my buddies stock 89 would keep up with my buddies modded out 89 with all the stuff i stated. so the boost bottle isnt helping me, cool thanks, i learn as i go.

If he was running race fuel, it might need it. Easy way to check is do a compression check. Anything over 150ish then you need higher octane than pump gas. But if the stock head wasnt milled or other things, i doubt that.

I run my oil at 40:1. But everyone has it's own opinions on that. Amsoil will be ok. I used to run that but the lack of caster oil made me switch. I love the smell of it.

Stock gearing will be fine. Or if you ride sand, maybe go one smaller in the front. As long as it revs crisp in neutral and 1/4 throttle to 3/4 is crisp and good, your needle clip should be ok. You can always go one clip richer and see if it bogs.

With just a boost bottle, you will not be keeping up with any of today's bikes. Actually boost bottles does nothing. Over time from bouncing on the rubber boots, they can cause the rubber boots on the carbs where it attaches to crack. Just make sure she is jetted/tune right and enjoy her as is. Welcome aboard!