Top end rebuild gone bad :(

So last September my '99 BANSHEE finally popped at the dunes ....

th_CylinderLeftSept2008.jpg

Finally got it torn down and the cylinders sent to Jeff at F.A.S.T. in February after missing the the April Easter ride at Sand Mtn. finally got the cylinders back and started "assembly" ...

Jeff suggested that I gasket match / port the top of the cases, well I tried with the engine in the frame and it wasn't going to be easy so I took it out:

th_EngineoutApril2009.jpg

I proceeded to clean up the tops of the cases, got done and began the clean up all the aluminum etc., got everything cleaned up and lubed but MUCH TO MY DISAPOINTMENT the crank was still "binding" in certain spots :(

th_EnginecaseportingApril2009.jpg

Decide it was time to spilt it open and this is what I found on the stator side crank bearing:

th_EnginecrankbadbearingApril2009.jpg

So it looks like the cranks needs rebuilt / trued / welded / new bearings :( And I really hope the cases are OK since when the bearing came apart some wear has occurred on the inside vertical surface of the stator side bearing (I need to try and get a pic)

Called 4 shops today and tried MULTIPLE times to get through and I only got busy signals :( And a call me back ...

I just hope I can get it back together before June, UGH !

Lessons learned:

#1 Just split the cases and go with a 4 mil build to begin with (now I have a port job, and pistons set up for stock stroke, and a stock crank that needs redone ... lucky :down: )

#2 February IS NOT early enough to start on a spring rebuild

Sorry for the long rant, I'm just defeated :confused: I wonder if I'll ever get to see how (or IF at this point) it runs with the play/dune port, and the NOSS head :shrug:

~DaVe

Summer Donna! Get a crank, NEW bearings and NEW seals and put her back together. When a piston fly aparts it's best to split the cases and get all the loose metal out anyways. So actually it turned out good that you went that far. Ellision or however u spell his name had around 3-4 cases for sale and i think they were $175 each. So if you need cases, there you go.

I've been there. Dont worry. Just takes a little time. A weekend and you can have her back running in tip top shape.

You can still go with a 4mil on those juggs. I think you need spacers. Your builder can help you out with that. But then if you push too much hp, then you will need a lockup and maybe if you want an override so it shifts good at WOT. It gets pricey quit.

To save some coin, just run it stock stroke as is and when the need arises, get some new juggs, port them for a 4mil, top end, get a 4mil crank and install.

I have good stock used cranks for $100 if you need one.

I might need one if mine ends up bad ...

Looks like for now the cases and the crank are going back to Jeff for a case port job, and a rebuild / true / weld ... I hope everything checks out !

Thanks for all the support, I'm just upset that I would have been to the dunes 3 or 4 times already if it was years past :(

So for now stock crank / stock cases, ...

and the search begins for an extra Banshee engine to become a 4 mil ;) ??? (prob not if I get this one going)

~DaVe

If it makes you feel any better easter wasn't that much fun and the sand has been fairly beat up for about the last month and it's due to rain down there again this weekend. I'm with a few others I say pick up the used crank and lets get her up and running and I'll see you in the dunes!

If it makes you feel any better easter wasn't that much fun and the sand has been fairly beat up for about the last month and it's due to rain down there again this weekend. I'm with a few others I say pick up the used crank and lets get her up and running and I'll see you in the dunes!

Well the crank and cases are on the way to Jeff to get worked !!!

"Full case porting includes epoxy in the bottom half and porting of both cases good for 2-3 HP" :) :) :)

So hopefully I'm back together before Memorial Day weekemd, and I guess I'll just have to make up some riding time this fall :blink:

~DaVe

If it didnt bind up you could have slapped it together and you would be doing the top end again. I would say your lucky instead of being unlucky

josh

OH you are right, !!!

I'm just upset that I never tore the cases apart last September when it popped :( I thought February was early enough, ... It wasn't

And if I had have know about the crank damage then I just would have went 4 mil porting on the cylinders and get a new crank / stroker pistons ... Oh well live and learn. I hope it is one fast 350 when I'm done :cool:

~DaVe

yEAH i'M DOWN HERE IN rICHFIELD NEVER EVEN BEEN TO LITTLE SAHARRA YET. i POPPED IN dECEMBER NOW A 4 MILL LEADS TO POWDER COATING & WELL WE GOTTA HAVE V FORCE & I THINK WE BETTER HAVE BIGGER CARBS & i WANNA CHANGE THIS THAT AND THE OTHER & THEN YOU GOT ALL THE LITTLE ODDS & ENDS THAT YOU FIND WHEN YOU TAKE THE WHOLE THING DOWN. i'LL BE LUCK TO HAVE IT BACK IN 2 MORE MONTHS. hARD NOT TO JUST SLAP IT BACK TOGETHER, :shoothead: :shoothead: :shoothead: i WANNA RIDE SO BAD! iF i JUST WOULD NOT HAVE SAID "GEE THERES GOTTA BE PISTON MATERIAL IN THOSE BEARINGS, i NEED A 4 MILL" DAMNED IF YOU DO DAMNED IF YOU DONT.

• 2 weeks later...