Smoking So Much !

If it is smoking that bad and is a crank seal, you will have lots of oil in the pipe on that side. You should also be able to put your hand behind the silencer on that side, rev it, and have your hand litterally coated w/oil. I would take the pipe off and see if you can dump oil out of it before you go tearing into the bottom end.

White smoke usually means coolant. Unlike tranny oil, it takes a lot less coolant to make a lot of smoke. Do you have a cool head. If so, I would bet you lost an o-ring. But even if not, I would check your head gasket. A lot easier than splitting the cases.

So basically, pull the pipes and see if you can dump oil out of them. If yes, crank seal. If no, check the head gasket.

Hello there...

I have a stock yamaha banshee, i take it out today for little ride, choked and started good, i start riding everything is good, power is perfect, but when i hit the throttle it smokes white, the more i hit the more it smokes... i was riding about 5 minutes doing some wheelies ... etc then i lost power!!

here's what i did:

1. removed old plugs and putted new NGK's

2. removed carbs and cleaned them

3. checked the compression very good

BUT !! its still smokes white so much so much !! never seen this before even when it idling, only the right side is smoking...

the fuel i am using is little old, i mixed it month ago...

I had the same problem with mine and i had to split the cases and replace the crank seals. When doing this, i also replaced the other seals, might as well because you already have the engine open.

If it is smoking that bad and is a crank seal, you will have lots of oil in the pipe on that side. You should also be able to put your hand behind the silencer on that side, rev it, and have your hand litterally coated w/oil. I would take the pipe off and see if you can dump oil out of it before you go tearing into the bottom end.

White smoke usually means coolant. Unlike tranny oil, it takes a lot less coolant to make a lot of smoke. Do you have a cool head. If so, I would bet you lost an o-ring. But even if not, I would check your head gasket. A lot easier than splitting the cases.

So basically, pull the pipes and see if you can dump oil out of them. If yes, crank seal. If no, check the head gasket.

X2

• 1 month later...

i agree check to make sure whether you have oil or coolant that is causing it...i have the same problem and haven't fixed it yet cause i haven't been riding much. I think its the coolant. So you guys say if its the coolant you just replace the rings?