Clutch kit..

blaster2006

just got my new tusk clutch kit with HD springs to install on my banshee. my mechanic will be helping me out for free, but we both would like to know some stuff quickly...

i remeber reading something about cables bla bla pay attention or something, what was that?

we were just replacing the friction/pressure plates.. (no splitting cases or removing the bottom end..) and putting springs.

the cover of the clutch kit tells me 3 steps, the last step i dont understand..:

1. Smear the friction plates in drivecase oil before installing.

3. With the engine running, slip the clutch for a few seconds to remove excess oil before running.

how do you "slip the clutch" and drivecase oil meaning just normal engine oil.. right?

just got my new tusk clutch kit with HD springs to install on my banshee. my mechanic will be helping me out for free, but we both would like to know some stuff quickly...

i remeber reading something about cables bla bla pay attention or something, what was that?

we were just replacing the friction/pressure plates.. (no splitting cases or removing the bottom end..) and putting springs.

the cover of the clutch kit tells me 3 steps, the last step i dont understand..:

1. Smear the friction plates in drivecase oil before installing.

3. With the engine running, slip the clutch for a few seconds to remove excess oil before running.

how do you "slip the clutch" and drivecase oil meaning just normal engine oil.. right?

anytime iv ever changed clutch packs out i soak my cluch in oil a minimum of 24 hours in advanced in the same oil ill be using in my bike, usually it coincides with my oil change and i just put the oil i soaked my pack in in the motor when im done, this make sure all the plates are oiled up and ready to go to town after installing. i've never had a problem with any clutches on any of my bikes iv ever owned when done that way.

im assuming slipping the clutch would be to run the bike and just slightly pulling the clutch in to a state where its still putting power down to the chain but slipping to remove drive case oil....which you wouldnt need to do if you soaked them for along time prior to installing.

Edited by magz

you need to soak the fibers in the oil you intend to run for a minimum of 20minutes. I usually throw them in some oil when i start taking the bike apart, and by the time im ready for them they have been in there long enough. I wouldn't slip it, I would just ride it easy for a little while to give everything a chance to seat in. change your oil relatively soon after the new clutch goes in, it may look a little dirty, its just random fibers from the new clutch. i usually change after a day or 2 of riding the first time.

what exactly do you have to soak btw, the black plates or the metal plates ( dont really know their proper names)?

or do i soak them both?

i also got some HD springs, and my bike is only piped/ filter/ reeds etc, thats okay right? and its only going to be a LITTLE harder to pull in the clutch?

Edited by blaster2006

It depends on how many of the springs you use. You can go with 1/2 HD springs, and 1/2 stock if you want to keep it easier. You probably won't like it with all HD's unless you have an EZ pull level and a well lubed cable.

ok and as for the soaking in oil, is it the metal plates with the theeth on the inside, or the black ones with the teeth sticking outside? or do i soak both?

nah its the tusk kit, just got them installed anyway, my mechanic insisted on putting all HD springs, its a tight clutch now, but meh, its not that bad, atleast i will get a buff left hand :)

it runs sweet, just i noticed a huge difference in when it releases, the clutch actually releases when you release it like half an inch after you release it... before i had to release it more for the thing to actually start moving from first, now the slightest release and it gets moving.. is this normal ... or what? and how can i change it back to normal if its not normal :)

That is all in the clutch adjustment. If you have a repair manual it explains this. Im sure theres some threads also if you search up "clutch adjustment". Make sure the adjust nut is tight. Have had it fall off in the case and loose movement before. Also could be tragic if the nut gets into the wrong place. Fortunatly was lucky.