Help getting started; Ice Racing

black sunshine

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MF44's are they way to go :thumbsup: the mechanic at the dealer got some for is dirt bike. All i cans says is WOW...

http://www.mf44.ca/

those are pretty sick, i think dirt bikes need more aggressive studs than 4 wheelers.....

spike what are you using this year for studs are you getting good traction what is your sprocket gearing???

those are pretty sick, i think dirt bikes need more aggressive studs than 4 wheelers.....

spike what are you using this year for studs are you getting good traction what is your sprocket gearing???

I'm not doing any racing this year as i've been sent on a six weeks course for work, which is taking most of the season :down:, but its a great course to have and i've been wanting it for a while... anyway. My present tires are studded with kold kutter (sp?) as per Marcel Fournier's model that we first found on google images if I remember correctly. We didnt know about his screws until we did more research on him. Traction is great I would compare it to a nice harpacked fireroads type deal. I use 14-41, fourth in the turn and fifth in the strait. seemed pretty good. I found that tire settings where critical. poeple that ran other random stuff where getting lapped after 4-5 laps. I also think that indexing the studs makes a noticeable difference as well.

I'm not doing any racing this year as i've been sent on a six weeks course for work, which is taking most of the season :down:, but its a great course to have and i've been wanting it for a while... anyway. My present tires are studded with kold kutter (sp?) as per Marcel Fournier's model that we first found on google images if I remember correctly. We didnt know about his screws until we did more research on him. Traction is great I would compare it to a nice harpacked fireroads type deal. I use 14-41, fourth in the turn and fifth in the strait. seemed pretty good. I found that tire settings where critical. poeple that ran other random stuff where getting lapped after 4-5 laps. I also think that indexing the studs makes a noticeable difference as well.

Been using mf 44s for 2 seasons now and night and day to holiday screws we used before. Have mf 44 endurance in my brute 750 and they hook like nothing i have ever tried. We raced 2 weeks ago at cmrc quebec series and they are the only screw being used and no sharpening required. Well worth it for racing but for play riding would recomend kold kutters or holiday screws half inch shank so they dont puncture tire.

i got cold kutters in mine and they are starting to pull out. losing quite a few of the ones on the outside of my tires. i'm using holeshot mxrs tires with about 1/2 tread wear. what brand of tires are you guys using cause these old ones aren't doing the job for me.

really anytire that has the flat tread from side to side should work. If the tire is old and the rubber isn't soft the studs will pull right out. razr tires are what i use but if you want true ice tires you want Cheng Shin tires. I don't know if you can get them this late in the season they back ordered around here, but worth calling around

Cheng shins seem to be the standard on ice cause they are hard compound and cheap to buy. Could also try putting nyloc nuts on inside of tire to hold them. Works great but really time consuming if you dont have a box of 24 friends beside you. I used 6mm nyloc nuts on my mf 44s and no tear outs yet. Sounds kind of strange for a screw using a nut but the nyloc is the only thing holding it. For ft tires we use pure sports front bandits mostly but discontinued now. Have used fast trekkers and they work very good but guys are trying sandsport dune tires this year and having good results for only 2 ribs to stud. Good luck with your choice.

I seen a guy at a race with a 350 esr powervalve 250r and he was running some sort of Rear sand/dirt tire studded up in rows. I wish I would have paid more attention to what kind they were. Thicker paddles with more tread surface face. He was running up front throwing a roost all they way down the straight.

I do not have a picture cause I didnt have my camera there. But if you go in my gallery you can see the tires I run. Dont know the brand or name as we got them 15 years ago. Name etc was ground off the sides inside and out. Still unable to find them to this day elsewhere. I think this might be their last season on them and will replace with sandstars. The ribs in sandstars are about half inch wide rib by half high. Endurance studs fit perfect on them. By the way, how do you post pics on here. I am a computer idiot when it comes to this. It said my pics were too big and dont know how to make them smaller.

Found another ft tire that guys used this weekend up here at the bonnechere cup in eaganville ont. They used razr cross ft tires with the outside lugs cut off inside and out. Rubber is very hard and holds screws well. Also they are smaller 20 inch versions. Holds the ice very nice.