Seating a tire BEAD

MarineNYC

My fast trekker were SCARY to seat. I had to take them up to nearly 70 psi for them to pop on and seat. When you do it, put dish soap on the center of the rim with a towel. Avoid getting it on where the tire seats because that only helps the tire come back off instead of seating. It's not really hard after you get the tire on the rim. It's just seeing how big your kahunas are when putting that much psi in them to get the to seat!

Oh, and the starting fluid trick is only to stretch a skinny tire onto a wide rim. It's not to inflate the tire and seat it. If you go to inflate a tire and air is just coming out of the tire in the gap between the rim and tire and you can't get it to seal then it's time for the starting fluid. But if you're getting air into the tire and it's inflating but not seating it's still NOT a starting fluid job, just more psi...

Edited by JasonsBanshee

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

try different ways of doing it now before you have to do it out there my front hipers are single beadlock and it doesn't take much but i've always used a air compressor with a regular tire pressure gauge to fill. i have used brake fluid around the top bead and a match on regular rims with valve stem out! works like a charm

Edited by fasstbanshee

the tire wont catch on fire and i will not explode not enough air to start a fire and not enough air to create a massive explosion that will destroy the tire if you dont feel safe use carb cleaner rather than the eather

Fully agree, I've done it many times, only problem is that after the explosion, a vacuum will form inside the tire and may suck the bead off the rim again. I always remove the valve to prevent this, even with the valve removed, the explosion is still sufficient to seat the bead.

If you are afraid to get too close to light the match, just spray some of the flammable liquid on the end of a stick/broom handle/flag pole/whatever, light it and use this to light the tire from a distance.

IMO this method is safer than standing next to a tire with 70PSI of air pressure trying to seat the bead.

I'm confused why he has bead lock rings, but he had to seat that edge of the tire and wheel???

he has bead locks on the outside bead not the inside you don't have to seat the bead lock side just the "normal" side

Edited by fasstbanshee

haha i use quick start ....... for starting diesel engines it burns and evaporates quickly so there is minimal fire. i actually did this today and used a piece of heavy equipment "grader" to break the old tires off the bead its not scientific ..... but gets her done lol

yup starting fluid is how I always mount tires. Used it for cars, trucks, quads, whatever. Just spray a VERY LIGHT coating all the way around. Then I used a campfire lighter to light it. As soon as its on I deflate the tire to get any unburnt gas out and inflate. You dont need alot for quad tires, a quick spray on all four sides will be fine.