Pistons - Top End Rebuild

gatoman28

Hello

I need your expert help in finding out about what pistons to buy, Pro X, Wiseco or Vito's.

Plus help on finding my problem on my Banshee.

On new years day I went to Glamis, while riding I noticed a loss of powers on my banshee, had to down shift more often. I loss so much power that I could not climb some sand dunes and returned to the camp site in fear of blowing a piston. First of all I tighten the caps on the carbs in case i had an air leak, same problem. Then I changed the spark plugs, it did make alittle difference for a while, it did go back to the loss of power.

The plugs I took off, right side plug looked good but the left side plug had oil on it. It seems that it is fouled and not letting the plug fire. The right side exhaust is hot while the left side exhaust is only warm. i believe i have to rebuild my top end. is there anything else i could look for that might make this happen to my bike if not the top end?

I have the following mods on my bike:

boost bottle

removed air box, K&N filter pods on each carb, with outer wear

290 Main jets

25 pilot jet

stock needle - 3rd slot

V-force delta reeds valve 3

Toomey T-6 exhaust

dude... had the same thing recently.. I checked everything... I mean everything... carbs, reeds, jets, switched wires,etc..

found out I had a bad plug!!! Ive never had that happen to me in my life on any of my toys.. just not producing a great spark.. found it when I switched their sides left to right... bought a new one and ran perfect... go through a checklist first before you rebuild.. you might even find why it went bad in the first place (if the top end does need a rebuild)

dude... had the same thing recently.. I checked everything... I mean everything... carbs, reeds, jets, switched wires,etc..

found out I had a bad plug!!! Ive never had that happen to me in my life on any of my toys.. just not producing a great spark.. found it when I switched their sides left to right... bought a new one and ran perfect... go through a checklist first before you rebuild.. you might even find why it went bad in the first place (if the top end does need a rebuild)

When auto stores ship there parts, they put them into boxes...Do you think that they guy carrying them cares whats on the inside. they get dropped and what do you know. You know how the plug is like glass some times. That is why i always check them before i buy them over the counter. give them a little tap on the porcelain side and look for cracks and what not. And always check the gap. You never know someone could have returned the plugs with a regap. Just what i have seen when I worked at a auto store.

I have 3 years of riding on this top end, every time is at glamis. about 10 trips every year, high revs in order to climb the dunes. racing up the hills. I have done no engine work on this banshee.

every time we go riding it's about 2 hours long, that includes breaks. 4 to 5 times a day. for 2 days.

I'm going to take off the boost bottle, does nothing and put back the original tube.

I have 3 years of riding on this top end, every time is at glamis. about 10 trips every year, high revs in order to climb the dunes. racing up the hills. I have done no engine work on this banshee.

every time we go riding it's about 2 hours long, that includes breaks. 4 to 5 times a day. for 2 days.

I'm going to take off the boost bottle, does nothing and put back the original tube.

wiseco definitely, 3 years riding that often is really overdue for a top end, to be safe anyways. i know vitos sucks, dont know anything about pro-x, but i know wiseco's are forged and nothing but reliable. i just bought my top end on ebay, look there, its pretty cheap.

are you able to do a compression check? If not you can pick one up at the auto store or try to find a buddy that has one. the compression with elevation a builder will be able to tell you if your in for a new top end but im guess you will have to deglaze and new piston rings at the min...And if you have time, you can pull your intake off always down to the jugs to look in side at the pistons and bore. You should beable to get an idea on whats going on

Guest utleybanshee
wiseco definitely, 3 years riding that often is really overdue for a top end, to be safe anyways. i know vitos sucks, dont know anything about pro-x, but i know wiseco's are forged and nothing but reliable. i just bought my top end on ebay, look there, its pretty cheap.

y yall say vitos suck i had there forged series and super stock had no problems