TAX RETURN

badbrad

ok so tax season is here and i should get a decent return. so of course i have to put some in the money pit.

i just want some opinions here. i am already looking to get the 450 shocks #1

#2 is i want to port and polish. now here is my dilemma: its a 2004 that has been taken very good care of. the motor hasnt been touched and i havent done a compression test yet.

im sure i wont really know till the cylinders are off but when i ship them out to get ported and polished should i just bore it out and get new pistons, or if the cylinders are still in good shape should i just get it honed and new rings?

I am a newbie with these things and just wanna get a better idea of things.

Its down to the trail port from either kevin herr or jeff from fast. i know they will be able to give me better info but i want to know from you guys' experience.

Thanks,

brad

if it doesnt need a bore i would not bore it. good luck on the rebuild. i just bought a stock 01 i might put some $$$ into soon. have fun, let us know how its going.

think about getting aftermarcket shocks made for a banshee instead of the 450 shocks, esp if you have the $$$.

also do you have extended a arms, if not and your planning on it in the future you may want to get the a arms and shocks together then do the motor later.

if its a 2004 and youre gonna have it ported, you might as well do the rebuild. just start fresh.

Agreed. I'm sending my 05 out for porting, and I'm doing porting to compliment a 4mil, getting the crank, and rebuilding all at once. (In addition to all the other necessary 4 mil components, carbs, etc.)

My bike will be down a little longer, but it will be good for a while when I'm done.

Nothing like being completely fresh IMO. :biggrin:

Agreed. I'm sending my 05 out for porting, and I'm doing porting to compliment a 4mil, getting the crank, and rebuilding all at once. (In addition to all the other necessary 4 mil components, carbs, etc.)

My bike will be down a little longer, but it will be good for a while when I'm done.

Nothing like being completely fresh IMO. :biggrin:

How much are the 450 shocks?

my 02' when i got it ported i talked to my builder and he said i was still well with-in spec for my pistons, so we just put a fresh hone on it and new rings, and slapped it back together, havent had a problem since...been running on it now for 6 or 7 months

I would rebuild based on your compression. If your still sitting at 120psi or up on a stock head, might as well just wait.

I am getting a port job from Kevin as we speak. He knows my budget, and advised me to wait on the full top end rebuild. (after checking, I am sitting at 122-123 psi per cyl. on a stock head).....I then spent the extra cash I saved for a cool head and domes to go along with the port work.

If the compression was lower than 110psi on a stock head, then he would have told me to get the full topend rebuild and just shave the head.

I can say if I was not on a budget, I would have gotten all new bore and pistons just to be so fresh and so clean.

no, boring has nothing to do with the transfers, intake track, and exhaust durations.

lol didnt think so...

thanks a lot for the replies. im hoping to keep everything under 500 with the shocks too. is that feasible?

whats round trip shipping about???

I just shipped mine to Kevin for 15 bucks via-UPS. From TX to Cali. So 30 total. Porting will be around 300.

500 for YFZ's and Porting is enough, however, shocks are only good if you plan on getting arms in the near future.

If it was me, I would spend the cash left AFTER Porting, and get your head decked/shaved (60 bucks). Also a adjustable timing plate ($60 w/flywheel puller). It will be a new bike with those three mods.

You can get the shocks later on when you have a little more cash to get the arms also.

I just shipped mine to Kevin for 15 bucks. From TX to Cali. So 30 total. Porting will be around 300.

500 for YFZ's and Porting is enough, however, shocks are only good if you plan on getting arms in the near future.

If it was me, I would spend the cash left AFTER Porting, and get your head decked/shaved (60 bucks). Also a adjustable timing plate ($60 w/flywheel puller). It will be a new bike with those three mods.

You can get the shocks later on when you have a little more cash to get the arms also.

sweeet man. thanks. i already have adj timing and it helped big time... +4. my one front shock is blew and i heard the 450 ones were a nice alternative. i really dont wanna put much more money in it after this..