Magnetic Drainplug.

Snopczynski

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Um, I think the one FAST sells(that I have) is metal..

I think your statement was a bit broad.

Sure if you buy a cheap-o and it screws stuff its obviously not worth it but otherwise keeping all that shit outta bearings and such is quite helpfull..

Thats like me runnin around saying no one should use case savers cause I had a billiet one not help, but instead help BUST out the top of my case.. Where as the plastic one Iam sure whould have been good seeing as how it wouldn't have bent and would have taken in the chain.. :confused:

RIPPEN

He usually spends the most amount of money he can on anything he buys, so I doubt it was a cheap drain plug.

I change my oil after every weekend, and I run a good oil, so I don't worry about stuff floating around in there and harming anything.

On another note, last time we were out riding something else happened. My cousins aluminum drain plug came apart and got sucked into the motor. Now his 2nd and 3rd gear skip. The magnetic drain plug would not have saved him on that one either.

He usually spends the most amount of money he can on anything he buys, so I doubt it was a cheap drain plug.

I change my oil after every weekend, and I run a good oil, so I don't worry about stuff floating around in there and harming anything.

On another note, last time we were out riding something else happened. My cousins aluminum drain plug came apart and got sucked into the motor. Now his 2nd and 3rd gear skip. The magnetic drain plug would not have saved him on that one either.

Chang your oil after every weekend? Wow.. Cant say I have the time, energy, or money to do that and Iam guessing most other don't.. Specialy considering thats pretty uncalled for and overkill...

http://www.farmandsandtoys.com/partdetail.asp?partid=104

Thats the one Jeff offers and I don't think its gonna turn out to be a ticking time bomb like you describe but instead would think that it would help between the 1-2 time oil changes within the season.. I have no problem with what your saying snop... However to say "oh look out and don't run this or this will happen"(basicly) simply isn't accurate.. Allot of guys(not just you) on here latley have been posting info that although true is extreamly vague and overall misleading.. If you would give your account and give specifics I think people would find it much more usefull.. You say your buddy spends as much as he can on all his parts.. Well we all know cheap can have to meanings.. Buying a almn plug for this aplication Iam sorry to say seems more dumb than running a magnet.. If you wanna say that running a almn drain plug with a magnet is asking for trouble fine, but I honestly don't think that the one like I have(METAL) or hell even the one that they sell in RMATV (METAL) is gonna lead to disaterous results.. Otherwise if guys wanna do like you do and change the oil after every weekend or ide or whatever thats fine.. Its just not practical for allot of us when we do have 6-8-10 trip seasons.. In those cases I believe it would be helpfull to have a mag catching some of the NORMAL shavings that float around.. Again, I don't have a problem with your info, I just wish some guys on here would tell the whole situation and let people go from there..

RIPPEN

I have these http://www.farmandsandtoys.com/partdetail.asp?partid=104 in most all our own bikes and have never seen or heard of any trouble with them. Prolly sold 100 of them and not 1 complaint. No worries with these, maybe aluminum ones but not these. Have heard/seen of them saving people money though, such as BBs (i have no idea how), parts of gears, pieces of c-clip, etc......$$$$$$$

Snop, sorry to hear you had bad luck with your aluminum ones. :sad:

Chang your oil after every weekend? Wow.. Cant say I have the time, energy, or money to do that and Iam guessing most other don't.. Specialy considering thats pretty uncalled for and overkill...

http://www.farmandsandtoys.com/partdetail.asp?partid=104

Thats the one Jeff offers and I don't think its gonna turn out to be a ticking time bomb like you describe but instead would think that it would help between the 1-2 time oil changes within the season.. I have no problem with what your saying snop... However to say "oh look out and don't run this or this will happen"(basicly) simply isn't accurate.. Allot of guys(not just you) on here latley have been posting info that although true is extreamly vague and overall misleading.. If you would give your account and give specifics I think people would find it much more usefull.. You say your buddy spends as much as he can on all his parts.. Well we all know cheap can have to meanings.. Buying a almn plug for this aplication Iam sorry to say seems more dumb than running a magnet.. If you wanna say that running a almn drain plug with a magnet is asking for trouble fine, but I honestly don't think that the one like I have(METAL) or hell even the one that they sell in RMATV (METAL) is gonna lead to disaterous results.. Otherwise if guys wanna do like you do and change the oil after every weekend or ide or whatever thats fine.. Its just not practical for allot of us when we do have 6-8-10 trip seasons.. In those cases I believe it would be helpfull to have a mag catching some of the NORMAL shavings that float around.. Again, I don't have a problem with your info, I just wish some guys on here would tell the whole situation and let people go from there..

RIPPEN

The trannies in our bikes get a lot of abuse from the idiot holes and we put a lot of hours on them every weekend we go. I change it out every time, run a good clutch, and have a cda from cascade installed. So in turn, I have had zero transmission problems over the last 3 years.

I wrenched on cars for about 8.5 years. Audi had magnets in the transmisiion drain pans, so did saab. Out of every pan I pulled off, I never found anything more than shavings on the magnets while doing a routine maintenance. When we had catastrophic tranny failures I usually found pieces of stuff stuck to the magnets. My personal feeling on it is, if its big enough to worry about it when seeing it on a magnet. Its always already caused a failure, or created a symptom that warrantied the cover to come off or the cases to be split. I just dont see running a magnetic drain plug as a must on my bikes. I pay a little more attention to whats going on with maintenance on my bikes than the average joe, and what the bikes doing when I am riding it. So, I have a tendency to catch things that most people dont even notice.

For instance, my cousin rides up to me. I noticed that it looked like his chain was skipping. I look at his side case cover from about 5 feet away and see sand stuck to it around the dipstick hole. I walk over, the dipstick is gone. We tow it back, I tell him to pull the side cover because he needs to flush it out. He has it off and I lean over the seat to watch. He is ready to put the cover back on after flushing some very suspicious looking fine and small material from the center of the case. I lean over the seat to watch and see about 2" of an aluminum dipstick shaft behind the clutch basket that he never saw. He ended up parking the bike after I figured out that was his 2nd and 3rd gear skipping because the bike ate the aluminum dipstick.

Maybe I am being rash about the magnetic drainplug? However, I just don't think its a great idea because most of them have a magnet bonded into the plug bolt with some sort of adhesive. Granted if its metal, the magnet will help stick to it, but it just makes me nervous. Especially since I have seen one do more harm than good now.

quote name='Snopczynski' post='924838' date='Jan 12 2009, 12:52 AM']The trannies in our bikes get a lot of abuse from the idiot holes and we put a lot of hours on them every weekend we go. I change it out every time, run a good clutch, and have a cda from cascade installed. So in turn, I have had zero transmission problems over the last 3 years.

I wrenched on cars for about 8.5 years. Audi had magnets in the transmisiion drain pans, so did saab. Out of every pan I pulled off, I never found anything more than shavings on the magnets while doing a routine maintenance. When we had catastrophic tranny failures I usually found pieces of stuff stuck to the magnets. My personal feeling on it is, if its big enough to worry about it when seeing it on a magnet. Its always already caused a failure, or created a symptom that warrantied the cover to come off or the cases to be split. I just dont see running a magnetic drain plug as a must on my bikes. I pay a little more attention to whats going on with maintenance on my bikes than the average joe, and what the bikes doing when I am riding it. So, I have a tendency to catch things that most people dont even notice.

For instance, my cousin rides up to me. I noticed that it looked like his chain was skipping. I look at his side case cover from about 5 feet away and see sand stuck to it around the dipstick hole. I walk over, the dipstick is gone. We tow it back, I tell him to pull the side cover because he needs to flush it out. He has it off and I lean over the seat to watch. He is ready to put the cover back on after flushing some very suspicious looking fine and small material from the center of the case. I lean over the seat to watch and see about 2" of an aluminum dipstick shaft behind the clutch basket that he never saw. He ended up parking the bike after I figured out that was his 2nd and 3rd gear skipping because the bike ate thealuminum dipstick.

Maybe I am being rash about the magnetic drainplug? However, I just don't think its a great idea because most of them have a magnet bonded into the plug bolt with some sort of adhesive. Granted if its metal, the magnet will help stick to it, but it just makes me nervous. Especially since I have seen one do more harm than good now.

So does this mean everyone should put their stock plastic dipsticks back in while they still have a chance because aluminum whizz bang ones are no good? NO, I think this is the point Rippen and others are trying to make. Not bashing you snop, just keeping it in perspective. I think i would of worded your first post different, like; I dont know about other brands but i've had trouble with ALUMINUM DRAIN PLUGS magnets coming out. Might check em close if you have them. Or something to that effect anyway. Again this is not to be mean toward you Snop, and again we have had NO trouble with ours but i do appreciate your input on the other brands!

quote name='Snopczynski' post='924838' date='Jan 12 2009, 12:52 AM']The trannies in our bikes get a lot of abuse from the idiot holes and we put a lot of hours on them every weekend we go. I change it out every time, run a good clutch, and have a cda from cascade installed. So in turn, I have had zero transmission problems over the last 3 years.

For instance, my cousin rides up to me. I noticed that it looked like his chain was skipping. I look at his side case cover from about 5 feet away and see sand stuck to it around the dipstick hole. I walk over, the dipstick is gone. We tow it back, I tell him to pull the side cover because he needs to flush it out. He has it off and I lean over the seat to watch. He is ready to put the cover back on after flushing some very suspicious looking fine and small material from the center of the case. I lean over the seat to watch and see about 2" of an aluminum dipstick shaft behind the clutch basket that he never saw. He ended up parking the bike after I figured out that was his 2nd and 3rd gear skipping because the bike ate thealuminum dipstick.

So does this mean everyone should put their stock plastic dipsticks back in while they still have a chance because aluminum whizz bang ones are no good? NO, I think this is the point Rippen and others are trying to make. Not bashing you snop, just keeping it in perspective. I think i would of worded your first post different, like; I dont know about other brands but i've had trouble with ALUMINUM DRAIN PLUGS magnets coming out. Might check em close if you have them. Or something to that effect anyway. Again this is not to be mean toward you Snop, and again we have had NO trouble with ours but i do appreciate your input on the other brands!

Actually, I wont run an amulinum dipstick either. Plastic only, and everyone else we ride with that saw what happened was a little scared of their aluminum dipstick after that.

Might try the Cascade dipsticks as they are one piece and i havnet seen any problems with them. SOme other brand dipsticks are 2 piece threaded in and may pose a problem. I have seen Skat Trac haulers paddles break off so you may all want to change paddles now too. jk lol

I've had the one from FAST for 3 years now with no problem.

And I change my tranny fluid (ATF Type F) after every two days at the track, or after a weekend at the track/dunes.

Mine came with a nice copper crush washer, not a fiber.... No issues with mine in two different motors...other than I have to keep remembering to grab a 14mm socket instead of a 17mm wrench...LOL.

EXACTLY, Iam not trying to bag on you at all snop as this info could potentialy save someone a trans.. I just felt your first post was pretty vague, missleading, and well, dramatic..

Otherwise now I know to keep myslef and loved ones away from aluminum dipsticks, aluminum drain plugs with magnets(or without), and dg billet case savers.lol :thumbsup:

RIPPEN