Good lights the wont make me go broke?

hollisatp

both stators are POS, go for the ricky stator though.

The Ricky Stator's issues can be solved by upgrading the hardware it comes with. If it has philips head screws replace them with some higher grade allenhead bolts (mounting the stator to the plate). The stator itself should be fine if you get his newest version, and it is very easy to float the ground.

Unfortunately, this is not the case. I had 3 of the ricky stator POS stators go out on me in the last 18 months. First time i got it, it had a high rpm miss. Sent it back, worked fine for 1 weekend trip to pismo, then lighting coil went out. Would only power 1 50 watt light for next trip (when it went out) Warrantied once again, and the new one had high rpm miss. Im done with ricky stator. dont have an answer for anybody, just saying, the harwdware is not the only problem they have. :down:

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

as bright as 35 watt HID's? I call Shens, what LED's are those using inside? What kinda of circuit and how efficient is it? depending on internals I might be interested!

Be careful what you call BS on, these lights are made by a very big offroad light manufacturer that also makes hid lights for atv's and UTV's. I was at the warehouse talking with the owner and president of the company who is my friend. Its a german led, 10 watt. uses a pulse width modulated iinternal transformer. What do you mean effecient? It draws .75 amps with no high start up voltage. They make bigger ones that also put out way more lumens than a hid.

VX-XIL-S6100-1.jpg

VX-XIL-S4100-1.jpg

Be careful what you call BS on, these lights are made by a very big offroad light manufacturer that also makes hid lights for atv's and UTV's. I was at the warehouse talking with the owner and president of the company who is my friend. Its a german led, 10 watt. uses a pulse width modulated iinternal transformer. What do you mean effecient? It draws .75 amps with no high start up voltage. They make bigger ones that also put out way more lumens than a hid.

VX-XIL-S6100-1.jpg

VX-XIL-S4100-1.jpg

I called Shens not BS :P

Can you find out what the internals are? Watt for watt even the osram (german) led's are not as efficient as HID. Of course you can build a higher power light that will be brighter. I have not played with the 10 watt LED's yet though.... I would believe they are more efficient than those trailtech 11 watt HID's (those are not efficient for HID's), however if you compared 3 of those to a 30 watt HID with appropriate reflector you would get a more fair comparison... (like the larger lights on his wbesite)

I was actualy on your friends site last night because I'm thinking of going with his lightbar for my handlebars but I'd like to know if the LED's are at least CRee XRE or Osrams. .75 amps does not mean anything as far as efficiency, you need to measure efficiency as power. PWM transformers are the budget way to regulate lights. I'm not knocking it but they are generaly cheaper to build than high 90% + efficient constant current circuits. On larger lights the cost only goes up exponentialy and probably woudl not be justifiable to make decent profits on. PWM is fine because it takes advantage of the LED's ability to turn on and off extreamly quickly and boosts the "efficiency" of the circuit, although the efficiency of the light output is slightly reduced. If done right PWM is fine but as you slow the pulse you start to get that flickering effect. I'm sure this likely pulse fast enough that you can't tell...

I wasnt comparing the warm up of the HID. At start up HID's are not as efficient for sure, but thats only for a few seconds... I'm still looking forward to the day when a single small LED will be more efficient than a HID, but it has been proven over and over that they are not there yet, even with new OSRAM (german) Golden Dragons.

If you can verify that these are indeed the OSRAM LED's then I may be interested in purchasing a 8" lightbar from him. many of the lightbars out there use generic knock off LEDs.

If HIDs are more efficient then why would I want LED? Well if my battery dies then an HID is not going to stay on, it will keep going out every time I let off the gas because they have a cut off voltage unlike LEDs which will just dim out, (so rev up the bike and they will get brighter stop and they will dim with a dead battery: MUCH BETTER THAN HID) also a similar power and efficient HID will likely be larger and a pain to have mounted on my Bars (the MR16 Trailtech HID's are not the most efficient either which is what I have now for handlebar lights)... The flood beam from the LED would help blend all the artifacts from my cheap kragen HIDs which would be my primary driving lights.

Unfortunately, this is not the case. I had 3 of the ricky stator POS stators go out on me in the last 18 months. First time i got it, it had a high rpm miss. Sent it back, worked fine for 1 weekend trip to pismo, then lighting coil went out. Would only power 1 50 watt light for next trip (when it went out) Warrantied once again, and the new one had high rpm miss. Im done with ricky stator. dont have an answer for anybody, just saying, the harwdware is not the only problem they have. :down:

Fair Enough, I have had my Share of RMAs as well, but theres not alot of other options either. Maybe the company has gone downhill since the ower passed away, I have not purchased anything from them since then. However the ricky stator is probably the easiest one to do the DC conversion on.

I hope you were not trying to pull 200 watts from his 200 watt stator... My friend and I have both had some problems with the ricky stator, so I just bring a spare when I go riding, but I havent had any issues for some time now and when I did it was because of the hardware (except for his older version which problems with the ignition coil). All the stator is, is a coil of wire and a pickup coil, so theres not TOO much that can go wrong with them (they could however be improperly wound etc)...

Someone should make a nice solid billet stator and not use China Hardware / Manufacturering to put it together ;)

Edited by Justintoxicated

Fair Enough, I have had my Share of RMAs as well, but theres not alot of other options either. Maybe the company has gone downhill since the ower passed away, I have not purchased anything from them since then. However the ricky stator is probably the easiest one to do the DC conversion on.

I hope you were not trying to pull 200 watts from his 200 watt stator... My friend and I have both had some problems with the ricky stator, so I just bring a spare when I go riding, but I havent had any issues for some time now and when I did it was because of the hardware (except for his older version which problems with the ignition coil). All the stator is, is a coil of wire and a pickup coil, so theres not TOO much that can go wrong with them (they could however be improperly wound etc)...

I was only trying to pull 150 watts. I carried my stock stator with me at all times also. Only made it through 1 trip without needing it(between 2 bikes) Im done messing with stuff in the dunes. I want to ride not wrench. Im just running 1 75 wat trail tech halogen on my bars now with stock stator. Id rather ride less at night untill I can come up with something reliable to power my lights. I will probably look into getting a stocker rewound and then do a DC conversion for HID's those LED's look interesting. I would love to see a side by side shot at night showing how well they perform compared to say the trail tech scmr16 HIDs.

Shens

I believe the xmitter bars use a gel filled led.

Aren't most high powered LED's gel filled? Come to think of it

By definition PWM is means the light turns on and off many times a second, but usualy at a higher rate than your eyses can't pickup.

Now to find a way to mount something like that on handlebars would be sweet!

While those lights probably won't beat out a 30 watt SMR16 HID, I think they would certainly look cooler on the handlebars (the 10 watt version).

Edited by Justintoxicated