shaving head

serius4play

Hard to say. Start off by measuring your current head cc's. Because of mass manufacturing processes, I've seen stock heads with as much as 24ccs, as little as 21.

Any machine shop can just deck .020 or .030 off of it, but...it would be my recommendation to have a performance shop with a good rep cut and rechamber the head.

The questions is...do you want to run pump or race fuel?

This is a rough estimation compression chart, scroll down on Noss' site.

http://www.nossmachine.com/banshee_heads.htm

Hard to say. Start off by measuring your current head cc's. Because of mass manufacturing processes, I've seen stock heads with as much as 24ccs, as little as 21.

Any machine shop can just deck .020 or .030 off of it, but...it would be my recommendation to have a performance shop with a good rep cut and rechamber the head.

hmmm. STUPID VARIATIONS!!! why cant things be simple! so what your saying is that it cant just be ground down a bit then put back in. i have to re do the dome it's self? (stock head not cool head with replaceabel domes now that is easy.)

hmmm. STUPID VARIATIONS!!! why cant things be simple! so what your saying is that it cant just be ground down a bit then put back in. i have to re do the dome it's self? (stock head not cool head with replaceabel domes now that is easy.)

Well...

I try my best to err on the side of caution.

I'm sure someone will post shave .020 off the surface and slap it on. But that same person won't refund your money or even offer to pay for any damage IF any occurs...

An aftermarket head will give you more options....but you pay for that.

Sorry I don't have a direct, easy yes or no answer....I'd rather see you spend a little time and money now than possibly a lot more later...

Wondering how much i shuld take off my head when i shave it down. a messurment would be helpfull. or maby even a compreshion chart. =)

search the site it has been covered more than once.use .090 solder in your spark plug hole bring your piston up to squish the solder,measure that and it will tell you how much room you have in the combustion chamber.you can mill some but if you go very far it will mess up your squish band.the best thing to do is buy a noss head it will run cooler you will have the advantage of changing domes for diff compression if you want to run race gas or pump fuel.i have shaved heads and you wont notice a seat of pants difference and you motor will run hotter.if you were going to drag race i would say mill it rechamber it but if you want to dune it or trail ride get a noss head.

IMHO there is very little performance difference between an aftermarket dome and a similarily designed and re-cut OEM casting. Either would produce a similar compression ratio, thus similar horsepower and MSV numbers. And both will generate similar combustion chamber temps. Billet aluminum does transfer heat better than cast aluminum however. And the larger surface area of an aftermarket head shell will improve heat transfer to atmosphere. It is a relatively minimal difference though... Again JMHO

If the head will be removed on a regular basis or will see high compression, aftermarket is a no brainer. If it's just going to see pump gas and cost is an issue, cutting an OEM casting might be something to consider???

damn it! now you make me wanna pull my head and get out the plexi.- been lookin for an excuse for both anyways

Man if you can pony up the little extra dough I would get a aftermarket head.. Especialy if you plan on further modding your bike.. I originaly had a shaved head on mine that the owner before me did.. Obviously he had never met Dave before because the advise he gave you would have been handy.. When I took my topend apart I could see where the pistons had been hitting the head because they were either not machined properly or just to much.. I have since bought aftermarket and havn't looked back.. Its nice to know that the head I got(noss) will support most any future mods with the chainge of some domes..

RIPPEN