please help

I have a 1998 Yamaha Banshee. I bought it two weeks ago. It had burnt a hole in one of the pistons. They put new pistons and rings in it for me. It burnt a hole in the same one again. I was thinking it could of been too hot of plugs, but I really am not for sure. We put colder plugs and new pistions and rings back in it. It still aint running right, when I'm driving normal it feels like it is running on one cylinder, but when I am completly accelerated when the power bands kick in I can feel and hear the other cylinder kick in. I also can hear it cutting in and out on that cylinder, but it doesn't do too bad when completely opened up. When driving normal in drives very rough. Plus it doesn't idel because they eliminated the TORS, I believe. It has a cool head, FMF gold series pipes, power core silencers, outerwears airfilters, wiseco pistons, and an uncertain size of jets. Can you please help me with my problem? and what size jets would you prefer.

What size carbs, what elevation, what size domes are in the cool head, what fuel are you using, do you have a timing plate on and if you do what is it set at?

Lets us know as much as you can so we can help you out the best we can

ibelive it has stock carbs and I dont know what size domes it has.the elevation is 1500 to 1800.

What size carbs, what elevation, what size domes are in the cool head, what fuel are you using, do you have a timing plate on and if you do what is it set at?

Lets us know as much as you can so we can help you out the best we can

iam using 93 gas,Idont belive it has a timing plate.I dont really know whats all done to it.

If you can crack open the carbs and let us know what jets you have in there. It might not be your jetting it might be that you need to go with a higher octane because you might be getting detonation. Also if one side looks good and the other keeps frying you might have an air leak that could be doing it.

Yea you could pull your carbs, go ahead and clean them and check to see what jets are in there; mains & pilots and see what groove the needle clip is in, best in the middle groove. Also check the sparkplug caps on the wire and make sure their good and tight. If your talking about pods with outerwears then your mains should be atleast 290-320 and pilots 25 should be ok. Oh and check the reeds while you have the carbs off.

New plugs too! Let us know.

If you can crack open the carbs and let us know what jets you have in there. It might not be your jetting it might be that you need to go with a higher octane because you might be getting detonation. Also if one side looks good and the other keeps frying you might have an air leak that could be doing it.

well i dont think it is the jetting either I jus t figured it could have a little something to do with the the way its doing.It had about burnt a hole in the other piston to.but it burnt the right side twice.I think its running real lean to.do you think the side thats cutting out could have a broke reed or the carb stoped up.It seems like it isnt getting the right amount of full to either side to be burning the pistons.I dont know to much about banshees

well i dont think it is the jetting either I jus t figured it could have a little something to do with the the way its doing.It had about burnt a hole in the other piston to.but it burnt the right side twice.I think its running real lean to.do you think the side thats cutting out could have a broke reed or the carb stoped up.It seems like it isnt getting the right amount of full to either side to be burning the pistons.I dont know to much about banshees

You need to do a few things.

First...check for air leaks, second, check and see what jetting you have in the carbs...

Iam going to take the carbs off i will get back to you

Iam going to take the carbs off be right back

Iam back Itook the carbs off it has been ported,it has 340 jets,a boost bottle every thing looks good but one of the reeds isnt clocing all the way and the intake boots have been siliconed

Iam back Itook the carbs off it has been ported,it has 340 jets,a boost bottle every thing looks good but one of the reeds isnt clocing all the way and the intake boots have been siliconed

the needle is on the second notch.should it 3rd or 4th.

Theres two big problems right there, you better get new boots and prolly new reeds.