bad coil?

i am not sure what is wrong with my baby :sad: !! the left cylinder doesnt run but it will hit sometimes and the right side runs perfect. it is a biotch to start sometimes and it hates too start when it is hot. it studders when you stomp the gas when you start out and i took the plug out to see if it sparks and there was no spark at all on either side.(which it would explain why it is hard to start)

i think it is the coils because it has no resistance when i test it with an ohms meter.

it could be the cdi box but i dont know because you cant test it.

the stator could be bad but i tested it and it show it was fine.

the pickup coil tested fine too.

the TORS has been disable long since so i dont think that is a problem either because i have the single carb

Anyone have any ideas? help is appreciated!

thanks,

Sam

i'll check that after i get home from school tomorrow ,but i think its fine. thanks foe the input though. since the frame was powder coated would that make the frame ground bad? that might be the problem too.

yep. if the frame was PCed and the tabs were never ground down to bare metal, that would surely cause your no spark issue.

i think it is the coils because it has no resistance when i test it with an ohms meter.

it could be the cdi box but i dont know because you cant test it.

the stator could be bad but i tested it and it show it was fine.

the pickup coil tested fine too.

the TORS has been disable long since so i dont think that is a problem either because i have the single carb

Anyone have any ideas? help is appreciated!

thanks,

Sam

When you say you have no resistance on the coil with an ohm meter, what all did you test? You should have resistance between the positive and negative plugs on the coil and between the two plug caps. If you tested from the negative side of the coil to one of the caps and got no reading that is fine...that test is wrong...I bought a new coil because of that and it ended up being my CDI, which I know is very rare. But my bike was a bitch to start before and then I had no spark. Ohmed out everything, replaced the coil because of bad testing instructions...made sure all my splices and switches were working correctly, tested my stator, pickup coil, pickup coil gap - very important that is right.. Then put the new CDI on started first kick.. see if you can find a buddy with the same CDI and swap them out to eliminate CDI...

well the frame had the powder caoting on the mounts for the coil,but that wasnt the problem. i ordered the coil when i started the thread so it should be here on friday.if that doesnt work ill order my cdi because i dont have any banshee buddies. we all have different atvs. my friends have a raptor and a blaster so i have too order it.

Fast500 is right the sparkplug wire on my Banshee burnt out the inside. The spark had to jump over a inch and made it hard to start. When running at low rpm's it would miss. After the rpm's came up the plug started hitting. I got a new wire and plug boot and missing went away. Try moving the plug wires to the other side and see if the other plug hits, cause both plugs fire at the same time. One piston will be at TDC and the other at BDC. One exsplodes the gas the other just fires into the exhaust. So that should help you see if you have a bad wire or boot.

Have you checked the air gap between the flywheel nubs and the pickup coil?

.015 to .018 is where I set mine.

if that is fine:

Check the complete harness nose to tail for breaks, burns, bare or exposed wire.

Replace the stator (do NOT get a junk Ricky Stator, find a used OEM on ebay or from another member)

CDIs fail very rarely.

Start checking kill switches, loose grounds, etc.

i did but i found 7 wires. i think they are from the tors on the old carbs. 3 greens 3 yellow 1 black. i have it set at .018. i am going to get the cdi tommorow and i really think that is what it is. someone on the forum said he had the same problem and it was the cdi. it is an 87 but i dont think it is the stator because it tested perfect and strong.

• 2 months later...
i did but i found 7 wires. i think they are from the tors on the old carbs. 3 greens 3 yellow 1 black. i have it set at .018. i am going to get the cdi tommorow and i really think that is what it is. someone on the forum said he had the same problem and it was the cdi. it is an 87 but i dont think it is the stator because it tested perfect and strong.

so did you find the problem?