cylinder coating

ok so im planning to buy some single stage reflective chrome powder coat from eastwood does anyone know if this will work on an engine or does it have to be a high temp coat because i dont think they offer this color in high temp but im not sure. i planned on doing my complete engine and swingarm so if anyone has used this and can help me out it would be great. ps does anyone know how much powder it takes to do a complete engine and swingarm? thanks for any tips your help is appreciated

-2kbansheerider- :biggrin:

Edited by 2kbansheerider

I woud say it would be ok. Chances are your going to cure the poweder at a higher temperature than what they get when running. I dont know what kind of effect heating them up to cure them will have on the cylinder bore. If it were me and I was going to powder coat the cylinders I would have done it before I had them bored. You could end up warping the bore.

I was going to have my cylinders powdercoated when I got them back from patriot racing. I asked Dan from Patriot and he recomended painting them over powder coat for that reason.

The heat from PC will not cause a problem but I would PC them prior to bore just so you don't have to worry about burning off the coating of cutting oil after boring and it will also discolor the bore if you do it afterword. Just make sure the person boring them is careful on your PC job.

The single stage chrome can handle the heat your motor will put out but the single stage chrome will fade over time (not from heat but from UV and exposure) there are some really nice chrome powders out there but the technology really isn't there yet to keep that super shiny chrome look over time, they all fade and most of them you have to use a clear coat that also dims out the shine.

It will still look good don't get me wrong, just remember it will fade out over time.

Tate

The heat from PC will not cause a problem but I would PC them prior to bore just so you don't have to worry about burning off the coating of cutting oil after boring and it will also discolor the bore if you do it afterword. Just make sure the person boring them is careful on your PC job.

The single stage chrome can handle the heat your motor will put out but the single stage chrome will fade over time (not from heat but from UV and exposure) there are some really nice chrome powders out there but the technology really isn't there yet to keep that super shiny chrome look over time, they all fade and most of them you have to use a clear coat that also dims out the shine.

It will still look good don't get me wrong, just remember it will fade out over time.

Tate

So do you think I will at least get 2 years of good shine before it fades? and also how dull will the clear coat make the finish? i have also heard it is better to use a mirror black under the chrome does this matter. thanks for the tips.

Edited by 2kbansheerider

So do you think I will at least get 2 years of good shine before it fades? and also how dull will the clear coat make the finish? i have also heard it is better to use a mirror black under the chrome does this matter. thanks for the tips.

If you keep it clean you might get a year or two out of a decent shine but there's also a possibility it might collect sand and dirt from riding and dull it also. I have heard about the mirror black under chrome but I'm not quite sure what the purpose is... I read something about it the other day... :shrug:

The clear coat dulls it out quite a bit. The closest thing I've seen to real chrome so far has been caswell's extreme chrome and it reall looks sick right after you coat it but then once you put the clear on it basically looks about like the single stage from eastwood. :confused:

also do you know if that reflective chrome will work on engine without being high heat?

my bad on posting in the wrong spot im not really for sure on how to move the post.

The powder coating around the top of the exhaust port will turn yellow and/or discolor if it is not suitable for the higher temperatures that are sees. :thumbsup: