Tranny Problems

stroked05

Took my banshee out the other day to the dunes, its a 4 mill bike with a lock up, the tranny is stock, it shifts just fine cruisin around, but if i try to drag race, it will not shift, it does not shift out of first gear under a load i guess, it wont shift 1-2, 2-3, 3-4 and so on, but it does shift fine if i am not trying to race it. Does anyone know what exactly that is and how to fix it? I dont really want to put an override in it, the bike makes about 75hp to the tires, any help would greatly be appreciated, thanks.

Matt

when your under a load what do you mean you cant shift it, as in you cant pull the shifter up or when you do nothing happens?

could be clutch adjustment maybe your clutch is not disengaging enough under a load when you pull the clutch in

The clutch and everything works just fine, i pulled out the steels and the frictions, they are all perfect, i also made sure it was all adjusted they way it should be, and everything is done how it should be. If i leave in first, it doesnt go into neutral or anything it simply doesnt shift to second it will remain in first no matter how many times i pull up on the shifter with my foot, if i let completely off the throttle, it will shift, but u cant win any races like that:) If i am rollin in 2nd and hit it, it does the same thing tryin to shift to 3rd and so on.

Time for an override.

Everything can be brand new...in perfect adjustment. You're putting 2.5 times the power to that tranny that is was made for...AND you're using a lockup clutch...which is REALLY preventing it from shifting under load.

You have two options... Ditch the lockup and run stiffer springs, or keep it and get an override.

No amount of new parts or adjustments are going to make a difference....on a stock tranny, 75HP and a lockup.

I had a 4 mil cub with NO lockup, no override pushing roughly 90 HP, give or take.

Would not shift for crap most of the time....override and lockup, only way to fly.

Sounds like you're a prime candidate for a dunable override. Can ride it like a normal tranny....but full power WOT upshifts without the clutch when you want to drag race....

"....override and lockup, only way to fly."

421 cub, broke clutch loose at 65 hp and was hard to shift. Went to stiffer springs, not much help and shifting got worse. Went to street bike fibers and springs, helped a little, still slipped and inconsistent shifting. Went to lock up, no slip, but no shift. Went to dune-able 1-5 n down, IMHO "only way to fly." I can ride it like a stocker and I shaved almost a full second off my ET at the strip.

If I had done this to start with, I would have saved time, money, and untold frustration.

If you got 60+ hp, just do it! :biggrin: