Whats the point of in lockout

jdog

Its not a lockout its a lockup. Its not locking anything out, it locks the clutch pack up. A lockup uses centrifugal force and pushes against the pressure plate of your clutch. The faster it spins the harder it pushes against the pressure plate, putting more force against the clutch pack, which essentially locks it all together. Most are typically driven off your inner hub, which is attached to your transmission NOT your crank. So, the faster your wheels spin, the harder it locks up. There are some different types that drive off the outer hub and lock up based on engine rpm instead of wheel speed. There are also different types that offer hydraulic time delay functions and secondary lockup functions so you can custom tune the setup to lock the clutch up when you need it to. In a very generalized form, you want the clutch to slip as you come out of the hole, keeping your engine RPM's up and in the powerband, then as you start to gain speed and go through the gears the load on the clutch gets larger and the lockup starts to come into play and adds pressure to the clutch system to keep it from slipping.

-Jared

Its not a lockout its a lockup. Its not locking anything out, it locks the clutch pack up. A lockup uses centrifugal force and pushes against the pressure plate of your clutch. The faster it spins the harder it pushes against the pressure plate, putting more force against the clutch pack, which essentially locks it all together. Most are typically driven off your inner hub, which is attached to your transmission NOT your crank. So, the faster your wheels spin, the harder it locks up. There are some different types that drive off the outer hub and lock up based on engine rpm instead of wheel speed. There are also different types that offer hydraulic time delay functions and secondary lockup functions so you can custom tune the setup to lock the clutch up when you need it to. In a very generalized form, you want the clutch to slip as you come out of the hole, keeping your engine RPM's up and in the powerband, then as you start to gain speed and go through the gears the load on the clutch gets larger and the lockup starts to come into play and adds pressure to the clutch system to keep it from slipping.

-Jared

great explination here

Jared,

Does running a lockup affect how a rider shifts the transmission?

Can I run a lockup on a 465 10mil trail bike with a transmission you cut for me, or does one need to run one of those fancy no clutch required shifting Duneable modded transmissions?

Jared,

Can I run a lockup on a 465 10mil trail bike with a transmission you cut for me, or does one need to run one of those fancy no clutch required shifting Duneable modded transmissions?

I run mine on a stock transmission with shift pro kit and a modded shift star. I dont have any problems shifting. I like it for the fact that I can run all 6 OEM springs for an ez pull lever when stopped or taking off. For me just normal riding I dont really use the clutch except for down shifting.

Here is a pic of my Direct Drive Lockup with Direct Drive's die cast cover.

100_2181.jpg

100_2176.jpg

100_2178.jpg

Jared,

Im running the same trans you have in my methanol 10mil. Shift itlike you normally would. You may need to let off a little bit to get the lockup to disengage, but for the most part just beat on it and ride it like normal.

Let me know how it works for ya... If your unhappy with it, ill buy it back from ya.

Jared

No.....it helps you keep from making too much power for your clutch to hold againI the pressure plate. So it fights the urge for your clutch to slip when your motor is making high hp #s

It helps prevent the clutch from slipping when the load on the engine and the power being applied to the clutch would cause it to slip.

It helps prevent the clutch from slipping when the load on the engine and the power being applied to the clutch would cause it to slip.

Hha.....damn that's what inwasntrying to say BigRed......just lookedmbacknat it and see the problem. Correct it doesn't decrease power.....just makes clamping force stronger through rotating mass....