Power Band?

Dustin075

I have a 99 with toomey t5 pipes, and 50 over bore job. My question is when i am riding the low end seems to be kinda bogy, but when the power band kicks in it rips. There is no smoth trans between the low and the power band. I am new to the 2 stroke so i am not to sure how it work really. If you guys can give me some info that would great. (jets are 220 mains and 1 up on the polits)

Like mopar said you may want to up your mains. Your jetting now is what mine likes on stock pipes with the only other mods being a mild port clean up and removed snorkle (~500-600' elev.).

Banshees have never been known for their low end so you'll need to adjust your riding style if your coming from 4 strokes.

Your pipe will have alot to do with what rpm your quad will come on pipe so if your are wanting more bottom end you may be able to find one tuned a little lower(not sure what t5's range is).

Don't quote me on this since it's been awhile since i've thought about this stuff and forgot most everything but i'm thinking the flat exhaust ports have something to do with this also.

Yeah those guys are probably pretty close. I ride between 5300 and 8900' above sea level and I'm running 270 mains. So If you are any lower in altitude than I am you are almost definitely running really lean.

Oh and if you are not used to powerbands that really is the typical feeling of them. When the power band hits, it HITS and you know it!

I stand corrected my mains are 300. I live in morris illinois and i dont know my elevation.

I did come from a 4 stroke, the power band just hits so hard, i would have thought that it would have came in smother. It just seems to me that it bogs and hits the band and it is gone. Maybe it is just cause i am not used to it or it is not tuned right...?

Sounds pretty typical of a Banshee. They aren't known for low end. You can do some things to them to help keep it in the powerband at lower RPMs. 2:1 carb, FMF Gnarly/PT Mid/Dynoport 2:1 pipes, drop a tooth on the front sprocket, etc. One thing you might check is the setting on the needle. If it isn't set just right, it will cause a bogging before the powerband hits. What pilot are you running also?

I have a 99 with toomey t5 pipes, and 50 over bore job. My question is when i am riding the low end seems to be kinda bogy, but when the power band kicks in it rips. There is no smoth trans between the low and the power band. I am new to the 2 stroke so i am not to sure how it work really. If you guys can give me some info that would great. (jets are 220 mains and 1 up on the polits)

I think you might need to go down on your pilot jet.

I am still on the stock pilot with several more bolt-ons then just pipes. Not sure how the elevation changes things though.

Does it idle alright? I think you are probably rich in the bottom too.

this is the part were you learn to ride not just hit the throttle :biggrin:

I'm not going to suggest messing with the needle but i will say sometimes a shim to make a half step helps.

what rpm are you guessing it comes on pipe at? did you find out the range of those toomeys?

Edited by 2smokefan

First kick with no choke and will idles all day. So i am thinking the polit is fine. I dont know to much about syncing the carbs either. I bought the book and did the eye it up method. I have split the case and worked on the trans and did a rebuild on the top end about 3 weeks ago. Yesterday was the frist time i really rode the quad since i have owned it, and it just has had me worried if i had done something wrong. Thinking of bring it in but i like to do all the work myself so i know for the next time how to fix a problem.

to me it means when the" powerband" kicks in. this is when the pipe starts to sing in tune with the engine and everything comes alive.......sorry i'm alittle medicated. hope that comes out rite

this harmony will also vary with the tempeture of the pipe. i like it hot since cold reminds me of my ex ole lady :biggrin:

Edited by 2smokefan