Vent tube

fast660r

Once again I need your guys help with my sons banshee. He is in a points championship battle this year with his banshee and just recently we have found oil coming fromt he vent tube on top of the head. The last 2 races this has happened, he does not however have any loss of power. I really need your help on this one.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Rich and Bryan

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not familiar with a vent tube on the top of a Banshee head. Are your talking about the smaller collant tube that runs back to the rad?

Have you done a compression check? That will tell you if you have any serious problems there. Or else buy an extra gasket/o-ring set and pull the head and have a look see. Like I said, I don't remember there being a vent tube attached to the head though.

the only tube that could leak oil up near the head would be the vent tubes that attach to the clutch cover and the rear of the cases. They go to a "T" fitting and then are routed over the top of the motor for what ever reason. If you are getting oil from something else you have a blown gaskets or something.

Where exactly is this oil coming from?

and your 100% sure this is oil and its coming out of that little rear rubber hose? No oil goes there. That hose is a radiator hose.

I will trace the hose shortly, I found it behing the radiator and asumed it was the one from the head. It is a loose vent hose that is placed up behing the radiator, what else do you think it could be?

if it is plugged to the rear of the head on the top is should route from the radiator. there are no other lines that go to the head besides the lrage radiator hoses.

What if the other vent tube coming from the clutch side is venting oil? Could it be to full, Brayn says its half way on the dipstick when the bike is cold and not running.

What if the other vent tube coming from the clutch side is venting oil? Could it be to full, Brayn says its half way on the dipstick when the bike is cold and not running.

you have either to much oil or there is too much pressure building in the motor. on the new lockup covers they eliminate the vent all together.

you have either to much oil or there is too much pressure building in the motor. on the new lockup covers they eliminate the vent all together.

Bryan just went out and checked and the hose is coming from the very back of the engine by the frame mounting area. Any ideas?

first off, there are no o rings on the stock head..

if you have oil pushing out that vent tube, you have something pressurizing the system.. that pressurization is pushing oil.. so you have to trace where the oil can be pushed from.. the water pump cover has a seal for water and a seal for oil.. if both of these seals are bad, then you can have pressurization. a head gasket a lone will NOT cause the transmission area to be pressurized since the crank and tranny cases are separate..

have you checked the coolant lately? is it still full? is the oil milky at all in the tranny case? you need to check these things. sounds like a seal is out in the water pump area.

it is possible that your oil level is too full, but its still unlikely that it would be so full as to push it out. when is this leaking occurring? while the bike is running or not?

also.. got to thinkin.. i guess it would be possible if the crank seal on that side is bad for it to pressurize the system.. how old is this motor? why do you think the head gasket may be blown?