Blown up shee

Ok so heres the bad news my 02 banshee lost the left cylinder wrist pin bearings and it destroted my top end and split my stock crank apart.. So i'm thinkin of goin with a 4 mil stocker crank kit but i no nothing about the pro's and cons of running a stocker crank i want to run stock bore or maybe 40 over to clean up my mess i have a noss coolhead with 21cc domes and v force 2's fmf fattys and my timeing it plus 4 advanced and also i'm running stock carbs with a k&n.. I geuss what i need to no is what you guy's apinion is sould i go stock or should i go 4mill and if i go 4 mil what do i have to change or what route shoud i go...Thanks in advance..

I would go 4 mill Long Rod. Why not the crank is about the same price. It drops right in.

You will need.

4mill Long Rod Crank

795 Series Pistons (for the longer conecting rod)

Cut Stroker domes (they are cut 2 mm so the piston doesnt hit the head (stroker part of the crank)).

Just call david at noss machine let him know what you want and the domes will be good to go.

You should get it ported at this time to to take full advantage of the stroker crank, but they will still run ok with stock porting. Like anything there is always going to be something holding you back.

josh

I would go 4 mill Long Rod. Why not the crank is about the same price. It drops right in.

You will need.

4mill Long Rod Crank

795 Series Pistons (for the longer conecting rod)

Cut Stroker domes (they are cut 2 mm so the piston doesnt hit the head (stroker part of the crank)).

Just call david at noss machine let him know what you want and the domes will be good to go.

You should get it ported at this time to to take full advantage of the stroker crank, but they will still run ok with stock porting. Like anything there is always going to be something holding you back.

josh

plan for for new bearings for new crank. Have it welded. You will need new gaskets and seals. If you get it ported you will probably want bigger carbs and a new intake to go with the bigger carbs. Then you will want differnt pipes and air filter setup.

If your going to spend the money on the 4 mill I would go all out. I really dont see point of putting a 4 mill in a non ported engine its really not that great of a gain (unless you just want to be able to tell people you have a stroked engine) . Youll be faster with a stock crank and porting. I guess you need to decied if you want to spend 2-3 thousand or 7-8 hundred.

My experiance no others yes. A good ported engine with at stock crank will out run a +4 stroke with a unproted engine. If you think about it, it makes sense too. I would think about what you want to do if you dont plan on spending much I would get the cheapest crank you can find save a few bucks get a moderate port and be done with it. You will have a better running shee for cheaper besides you alread have a pretty good setup for that. A well set up stroker is not cheap. If you just want to spend 400 and throw a crank in there go ahead but your gains will be less then a port for about the same price. JMO

A good ported engine with at stock crank will out run a +4 stroke with a unproted engine.

I will agree with you on that. Here is where I am coming from.

#1The crank has to be replaced.

#2You can get a 4mill long rod for pretty cheap from Jeff at FAST.

#3 A port job doesnt cost any more for a 4mill over a stock stroke. So if he can or can't afford a port job it is going to be the same for ethire crank setups.

#4 Pistons need replaced. 513 and 795 Series pistons are the same price.

Stock Stroke Stock Port vs. 4mill Long Rod Stock Port

Stock Stroke Ported vs 4mill Long Rod Ported

I would take the 4 mill both times. The stroker crank isnt going to cost much more to build now since he needs to replace the crank. The only extra cost is going to be the price difference between the two different cranks and a pair of custom cut stroker domes.

Who said he needs to change carbs pipes suspension. There is a differnce between wanting and required to. Maybe he rides in the woods and would want a mid range machine.

Thanks for all the info guy's the strocker crank comes with a stocker plate if i use that will i still need the cut domes?? If the money is there i want to get some porting too i ride on our own track and do a lil hill climbing and sand draging at silver lake what kind of porting would you suggest and who should i get do the work?? Is there any one in michigan that does good work?? Thanks

Thanks for all the info guy's the strocker crank comes with a stocker plate if i use that will i still need the cut domes?? If the money is there i want to get some porting too i ride on our own track and do a lil hill climbing and sand draging at silver lake what kind of porting would you suggest and who should i get do the work?? Is there any one in michigan that does good work?? Thanks

With the spacer plate you dont need cut domes BUT it's just another place for an air leak so cut domse would be ideal. You want a play port. I'd recommend kevin at HJR just b/c he's done work for me and I know his stuff runs great. There's a bunch of guys in MI that do work, and a bunch on here from MI that I'm sure will chime in.

wiseco 795 sereis pistons are for long rod cranks. Ethire Stock Stroke or 4 mill stroker.

You need to run a spacer plate or cut domes for the stroker part. Cut domes is the way to go. Much better option then adding a plate under the cylinders.

Stock Stroke Stock Rod = Regular Pistons

Stock Stroke Long Rod = 795 series pistons

Stock Rod 4 mill stroker = Regular Pistons, Cut Domes or Spacer Plate

Long Rod 4 mill stroker = 795 series Pistons, and Cut Domes or Spacer plate

Long rod cranks have a conecting rod that is 5mm longer than stock. So you need a piston that has the wrist pin move up 5mm. That is what the 795 sereis pistons do. Long rod crank doenst really do anything for power. Helps out in the reliability department. It makes the angle of the conecting rod less so there is less side load on the piston skirts.

Ok thanks alot for all the help guy's.. I have another option now found a stock welded crank and a set of stock jugs bored out to 69mm and the jugs are ported now sure how much but u can tell they are carved out alot more than my stockers.. If i run these what will i have to do as far as carbs and any thing else i'll have to change thanks..Matt

Ok thanks alot for all the help guy's.. I have another option now found a stock welded crank and a set of stock jugs bored out to 69mm and the jugs are ported now sure how much but u can tell they are carved out alot more than my stockers.. If i run these what will i have to do as far as carbs and any thing else i'll have to change thanks..Matt

Stock welded cranks are great but I'd avoid the stock 69mm jugs. I also sent you a pm if interested in MI engine builders. Other MI builders include Tyson, RDZ, A&S and sure there are others on this site here who may do some good work in the detroit area. 4 mm's like mentioned above are good with lots of $ to spend, but a stocker can run killer for cheaper.

Stock welded cranks are great but I'd avoid the stock 69mm jugs. I also sent you a pm if interested in MI engine builders. Other MI builders include Tyson, RDZ, A&S and sure there are others on this site here who may do some good work in the detroit area. 4 mm's like mentioned above are good with lots of $ to spend, but a stocker can run killer for cheaper.

Thanks for the info Machwon.. But why stay away from the 69mm jugs just wondering??

When I spun a rod bearing, I ran a 4 mill long rod crank with a spacer plate for a while. It ran very well. Had very good bottom end and nice throttle response. I'm not saying it was the optimal setup, it was a way to keep riding until I could get the top end I wanted.

I say put the 4 mill crank in while you have the cases split. Get cut domes or run a spacer with the domes you have. That will open the door to all kinds of future possibilities.

Rick

• 4 weeks later...
wiseco 795 sereis pistons are for long rod cranks. Ethire Stock Stroke or 4 mill stroker.

You need to run a spacer plate or cut domes for the stroker part. Cut domes is the way to go. Much better option then adding a plate under the cylinders.

Stock Stroke Stock Rod = Regular Pistons

Stock Stroke Long Rod = 795 series pistons

Stock Rod 4 mill stroker = Regular Pistons, Cut Domes or Spacer Plate

Long Rod 4 mill stroker = 795 series Pistons, and Cut Domes or Spacer plate

Long rod cranks have a conecting rod that is 5mm longer than stock. So you need a piston that has the wrist pin move up 5mm. That is what the 795 sereis pistons do. Long rod crank doenst really do anything for power. Helps out in the reliability department. It makes the angle of the conecting rod less so there is less side load on the piston skirts.

how well would the long rods on a stock stroke crank be as far as performance goes versus the 4mil options? how much are the 795 series pistons?