i think someone tried to steal my quads

i have 3 quads locked up with kyrptonite locks, cables and chains. i also have 3/4 inch threaded studs epoxied into the concrete. the chain goes over the stud, then a nut goes on the stud, then i weld the nut to the stud so the chain cannot be removed ever. this is how i lock my quads up. my keys are colour coated to match each bike (blue key for blue banshee, red key for red quad, etc).

so i go to unlock my quads and none of the keys will fit into the locks. its like someone tried to jam a screwdriver into the key slots or something because my keys wont go in. also the quads were generally moved around a bit, as though someone tried to just pull them out by hand. but with the studs epoxied into the ground, they would need a 4wd truck, and that would bend and break the atv frames before it breaks the monster chains and locks i use. i got some big fuckin chain and cables.

so i feel good now that some thief went through all that trouble and got nothing. im out about $60 in locks since im going to need to use a cutting torch to get them off, but $60 is cheaper than theft insurance. and at least i know my shit is really secure.

fuckin thieves.

im thinking about adding motion detector too though. a small wire attached to each quad, if the wire is pulled, an alarm goes off thats loud as hell. that way if it happens again i can catch them in the act. id love to beat the shit out of some punk with my baseball bat or a crowbar. should be easy to rig up an alarm like that using a car horn, a 12v relay, a 12v transformer, and a few microswitches, all of which i have laying around.

that way if someone ever got smart and came by with a cutting torch i would know about it via audible horn.

Unfortuneately if you did beat them after catching them in the act (and they survived) they could hire a decent lawyer and sue the ever-loving hell out of you and just buy their own toys. So... just be sure you simply kill them and hide the bodies. haha!

Sounds like a good setup. I do similar using logging chain and industrial metal container locks if I'm in an area where I worry about it. But my bikes are stored where a retired military sharp-shooter and ex-police officer lives and he keeps a pretty good eye on the place, on top of the dogs barking when anything is out of place. His old-fashioned shoot first and ask questions later attitude makes me feel pretty good about storing my stuff there. I do like your idea for a security system using relays and switches.

One of the best security systems I've found is letting people know that you are armed (and know how to use it) and a dog who has a bit of a mean side.

- jared

Edited by BigRed350x

CAreful cause big bolt cutters like 42in. will cut through a hardened steel lock. If you do the alarm, set it up so a wie is weaved through the cain links and makes a complete connection back to the alarm unit. If it is cut, it goes off.

Unfortuneately if you did beat them after catching them in the act (and they survived) they could hire a decent lawyer and sue the ever-loving hell out of you and just buy their own toys. So... just be sure you simply kill them and hide the bodies. haha!

Sounds like a good setup. I do similar using logging chain and industrial metal container locks if I'm in an area where I worry about it. But my bikes are stored where a retired military sharp-shooter and ex-police officer lives and he keeps a pretty good eye on the place, on top of the dogs barking when anything is out of place. His old-fashioned shoot first and ask questions later attitude makes me feel pretty good about storing my stuff there. I do like your idea for a security system using relays and switches.

One of the best security systems I've found is letting people know that you are armed (and know how to use it) and a dog who has a bit of a mean side.

- jared

Are you trying to pass off Chub Chub as mean? :laugh:

sorry to here about this, you sure someones not tring to mess with ya. locks are very easy to bust. ill give every one here a little advice on locks if you all want it. im in the military we have to bust locks every day the hardes lock ive seen to bust is a master lock with a 1/8 " steel plate welded so that the actuall loop part of the lock was covered all the way down to the base of the lock so no one could get a bar into in or strike down at the lock with a hammerit that darn sleave worked very well

well hope this will help out some one keep there investment safe. but real glad your thiefs werent all that smart. keep riding man and hope them fuc..... get whats coming to them take it easy

Looks like you did a good job securing them.

Do research on your self defense laws.

In the state of FL I can pretty much shoot to kill anybody in my yard, or anybody that I feel is threatening my life. But I can't hold someone against their will at gun point (to wait til the cops come, that's kidnapping.) So they say if you don't shoot to kill, blow their knee caps off.

You should know just in case you ever do run into anybody stealing your shit.

I'm sorry to hear someone try'd to steal your quads, but glad they didn't get them.

I have motion detectors on the outside of my shop that awaken me and let me know in the house if someones around it without them knowing. Then, I have a loud audible alarm in case they were to get the door open. I also have camera's that I can see the shop in my bedroom, so if I get woke up by the motion alarm, I can instantly see what's going on outside.

I think these days there's no such thing as too much security.....

Shitty man... I just had a small, two place snomo-flat bed trailer stolen from the side of my house.

Wasn't even mine, was storing it for a buddy.

If you have chains they can be cut...period. Locks as well.

Combined system like you said, motion detector, siren/alarm, etc. in addition to the chains, locks, etc. is your only way....

And a good enough thief is going to get past that. Just be careful who you tell, the details of your system can and will come back to haunt you when someone knows how to defeat it up front.

Good luck to ya, sometimes catching a thief would be worth it for the vigilante justice....

the way you can make an alarm with a relay and micro switch in such a way that if they tried to cut the wire, or bypass it, it would go off. if they tries to bypass it with alligator clips it goes off. you have to really know electronics to get by a microwsitched alarm system. none the less, im going to microswitch the shit with small hidden wire, it doesnt even have to be wire, it would be 6lb test clear fishing line that would be nearly invisible going under a tyre or something.

i should make a schematic in ms paint for you guys to check out. its really simple. i think the microswitch is called a reverse switch, or a hobbs switch or something like that. i forget the name exactly but i know what it is and radio shack has all the parts im sure.

sorry but nothing get past a chihuahua, never did care for the dogs but my dauther buged me for so long i finley let her get one. i cant even walk by her room with the door closed in the middle of the night and she barks. my pits will sleep through any thing untill they here that chihuahua barking then their trying to figure out what she is barking at. thats my security.