Stock '06 Bogging on Low End

doug

Hi There,

I'm struggling with a bottom-end bog on my stock '06. Any advice is appreciated. The bike is completely stock, with the exception of the TORS removed. (200 main jets, needle in 3rd position, etc.)

- Bike starts first kick

- Has bogging feel when revving

- When I take it out and open it up it seems o.k. - not exactly crisp, but it cleans itself out.

- Carbs are sync'd

- Floats set

- Idle screws are set, but I need to grind the carb body down flat, so they will reach in. (took out the jamb nut so that I could see how the bike ran in the interm)

- Stock jetting, needle, air screw - 2 turns out, etc.,

- Running a synthetic shell oil @ 40:1

- br9 plugs, will be picking up br8 today.

In summary, I basically verified everything is at the factory settings. I had thought it would run fine. I must be missing something. Thanks!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would deffinetly go back to the br8es plug, as it is a little hotter than the br9es plug that you use now. that will help the plug from fouling and loading up. also, clean your pilot jets. they might be getting dirty. what's weird is that you said that it starts on the 1st kick, so i would assume that your pilot jets are clean. check 'em anyways. you can even try turning the air screw in. if the bog starts to go away, than you know it was a lean issue. if the bog gets worse, than you know its rich. what are the temps/elevation that you are running the atv in.

i would deffinetly go back to the br8es plug, as it is a little hotter than the br9es plug that you use now. that will help the plug from fouling and loading up. also, clean your pilot jets. they might be getting dirty. what's weird is that you said that it starts on the 1st kick, so i would assume that your pilot jets are clean. check 'em anyways. you can even try turning the air screw in. if the bog starts to go away, than you know it was a lean issue. if the bog gets worse, than you know its rich. what are the temps/elevation that you are running the atv in.

Hi - put the br8es in, the bike is running awesome, power band kicks in hard, starts first kick, etc., but the bottom end bog is still there. At an idle, just revving I can hear it. Bog, Bog. It is smoking more than I had expected, especially at 40:1 with a full synthetic oil. Will pull the carbs and take a peak at the pilot's. I'm riding in 20 to 30 degrees and 80 m. above sea level. Thank you!

is your gear oil low? how new is the engine? u said its burning a lillte more smoke then u would think maybe the trans oil is getting into the crankcase and banshees use that area and require its sealed

Hi - put the br8es in, the bike is running awesome, power band kicks in hard, starts first kick, etc., but the bottom end bog is still there. At an idle, just revving I can hear it. Bog, Bog. It is smoking more than I had expected, especially at 40:1 with a full synthetic oil. Will pull the carbs and take a peak at the pilot's. I'm riding in 20 to 30 degrees and 80 m. above sea level. Thank you!

you do realize you're riding a banshee right? :biggrin: they dont have any low end, so it will bog unless u keep the revs up

Hi There,

- Unfortunately the choke is not on and is all the way in.

- The transmission oil level is correct (not overfilled)

- The engine is an '06

- Yes, I've had several other Banshee's so I have a basis for comparison. It's a distinctive bog. I'll check out the pilot's and see where that leads.

Thank you for the suggestions.

Edited by doug

Hi - took the carbs off again:

- confirmed stock pilot jet size 25

- confirmed they where clean.

Didn't find any probems. Other ideas?

have you always ran the shell oil....and with no problems from it??

maybe try switching your mix oil to klotz or 927 or something like that.

and mix it at 32:1.

i may be wrong but to me it seams rich.

Dan

Well, I've run different Banshee's on different oils. The shell full synthetic seemed to work really well. After I thought through everything I had done to the carbs, I had realized that I installed the brackets (that hold the throttle cable) on top of the slides incorrectly. (they where backwards, thus blocking a hole that is required) I switched this around, but the bike isn't running any differently. (It did initially run well because I had installed new br8 plugs, but shortly thereafter went back to the bog) Yesterday, in 10 short runs up and down the road the bike burned through about 9 litres of gas! It's really strange because it seemed to work well when going through the gears, but at an idle I can see now it's spewing some fuel. I found out that it ran out of gas because it was revving up - that's when I checked the fuel line going to the carbs and nothing was coming out - I was pretty shocked. At this point I'm running out of things to check. To the best of my knowledge everything is stock, clean, etc. Any ideas/thoughts are really appreciated.

Edited by doug

How many hours are on the machine?

Check for carbon build up in the exhaust.

Remove your spark arresters and clean them...it's only 3 screws on each exhaust tip.

Take them out, and wipe them down. Use a wire brush to scrape all the hard-deposited carbon off of them. Use a screw driver to clean in the grooved part, and blow it out with compressed air.

Not sure exactly, but the original tires are still on the bike and it's overall condition is very good which leads me to believe the hours are relatively low for an '06. Just pulled the arresters and the don't look bad. There is some of the silencer packing that has come loose, but nothing to speak of. :confused: