wierd rebuild story

i got a 01 banshee for 480 bucks.

it was sitting on the side of the road out front of some guys house. He told me that the motor needed to be rebuilt, and that the motor had a mild seize and very low compression on the right cylinder, he told me that it had also sat for about 2 years and that he drained the gas out of it.

the quad looks in pretty good shape with some fading, but not to beat up, so i tried doing a compression test, the motor stuck 1 or 2 times but turned over, the left cylinder read about 90psi and the right cylinder didnt even make the gauge jump, it had no compression, wich at the time amased me.

So, anyways i ripped it down and got the motor out. i pulled the head off to find only one piston in the left cylinder. and the right was gone aong with 95 % of the rod. Witch ment that the motor was previously taken apart.

to sum things up i tore the motr down to nothing and replaced the crank, and pistons and rebuilt with .20 over wisecos. i put it back together and i have fuel, spark, and about 125 psi of compression in each cylinder. But when i kick it over all i get is a few pings of the right cylinder and it wont run.

i cant figure it out? any ideas?

This will sound dumb but I know 2 people it has happened to... make sure the choke crossover tube didn't fall off when you put the carbs on. It happened to 2 buddies on mine... they kicked forever with good spark, compression and fuel, but with out that little tube between the carbs it wouldn't start.

I had today off so i went and started messing with the carbs. I pulled them of and just kind of tinkerd with them for about a half an hour, i took them apart and sprayed them with carb cleaner, and i basicaly went through them checking for any problems.

I put it back together and kicked it over a few times and got it running, but very poorly. The right cylinder was firing constantly and working fine, but the left cylinder is only firing about a 1/4 of the time to not firing at all.

I think the carbs just may need a rebuild after sitting for who knows how long.

Does this sound like it is still carbs or something else?

( sorry, im good with motors, but new with the banshee and 2 strokes)

The slides should pull at the same time when you crack it... If the are out of sinc, runs shitty. They have a sinc tool, or i just do it by feel. take the filter off stick my fingers in each carb and give gas.(shut off, of coarse) You should be able feel the slides move at the same time. If not adj them so they do. also, are the tors removed?

The tors is removed.

the carbs are in sync.

I switched plug wires and the left cylinder fires full time(originaly dead cylinder) and the right fire more but it isnt running at full power,

i think it might be the left plug wire/cap but it is ignition problems somewere, because the left wire, when tested only fires about half as much as the right :huh:

The tors is removed.

the carbs are in sync.

I switched plug wires and the left cylinder fires full time(originaly dead cylinder) and the right fire more but it isnt running at full power,

i think it might be the left plug wire/cap but it is ignition problems somewere, because the left wire, when tested only fires about half as much as the right :huh:

If you switched the plug wires and the other side starts running better and other side worse. Then def an electrical problem. Try new spark plugs and caps. If thats not the case then Test the ignition coil and stator with an ohm meter. And you might want to check your pickup coil gap.