air gap setting

rb0804

just installed my brand new stator and hub tonight and the directions said to set the air gap between the pickup and the flywheel no less than .020". What happens if the air gap is larger. i changed out complete ignition systems because something is causing me to have weak spark. would an excessive air gap be the culprit? i measured the old when before i took it off and it was at .032".

nope no tors, no parking brake bs either. just had a weak spark problem, just curious if excessive air gap will give you weak or no spark that for future reference. i set the new pickup at .022" figured that was "safe"

.022 sounds good. Not to sure bigger gap what would happen. Probably no spark.

0.20 is what it should be set at. If the gap is too large, no spark will result. Ignition pick up is a solid state unit. It will either trigger or not trigger. Nothing in between. Either a go, or no go.

Is it a weak spark on both plug wires? If so, could be the coil. If not, could be the wire, or boot, or connection between them.

SP

If so, could be the coil.

to the best of my knowledge the coil doesnt go "weak" its one of those things that works or it doesnt. i am having a weak spark issue, not really interested in tracing it down. i purchased new stator, flywheel, cdi box, coil, and wiring harness. just curious of the purpose of the air gap and why "closer is better"

to the best of my knowledge the coil doesnt go "weak" its one of those things that works or it doesnt. i am having a weak spark issue, not really interested in tracing it down. i purchased new stator, flywheel, cdi box, coil, and wiring harness. just curious of the purpose of the air gap and why "closer is better"

Simple.....0.20 is what it should be set at. If the gap is too large, no spark will result. Ignition pick up is a solid state unit. It will either trigger or not trigger. Nothing in between. Either a go, or no go.

I don't think anyone ever said "closer is better".

just installed my brand new stator and hub tonight and the directions said to set the air gap between the pickup and the flywheel no less than .020". What happens if the air gap is larger. i changed out complete ignition systems because something is causing me to have weak spark. would an excessive air gap be the culprit? i measured the old when before i took it off and it was at .032".

Yes it can, but I think you were save on .032", not ideal though.

coils can go weak. most people think they either work or don't work. well my buddies shee had a weak coil. shee would kinda stutter and not pull proper rpms at top end. put new coil on it and it worked great.

oh yeah, my gap is set at .015" w/no problems.

Edited by mopar1rules

coils can go weak. most people think they either work or don't work. well my buddies shee had a weak coil. shee would kinda stutter and not pull proper rpms at top end. put new coil on it and it worked great.

oh yeah, my gap is set at .015" w/no problems.

I second this. Ive had two coils get weaker on me and it would fire every time...BUT once you get on her the rpm's would not build like normal in the upper rpm range and i thought it was a main jet issue until i tracked it down to the coil resistance was getting very weak :blink:

Edited by savage420