Wear your protective gear

rubberneck

Ok, so we were out at pismo this past weekend. Was fooling around with the cub motor doing some jetting adjustments. Decided I was going to do a plug chop because the nasty wind we had had all day finally died down. Me and my cousin jumped on our bikes and I only threw on my helmet, despite the fact that i had my flak jacket and knee/shin guards laying in the trailer. Only going to go do a plug chop anyway right? Well ran the new set of plugs, and everything looked pretty good. I looked at my cousin and said hey, weather is sweet lets go for a little ride. Well about five minutes later, I was doing a "side hill" across the face of a dune. I dont know how to describe it but basically the bike is pointed uphill, and you are just giving it enough throttle to sort of powerslide across the face of the dune. Its just kind of fun. Well, I hooked a rear tire on a hard spot of sand and flopped the bike over on my self. Didn't really hurt untill the paddle drove across my chest. (remember that flak jacket) :shoothead: Oh yeah, did I forget to mention, i didn't hook the tether kill to my self, so when i came off the bike it didn't kill it. Hence the reason the paddle gave me a good ass kicking. No biggie, nothing really hurt but my pride, so i jump back on fire her up and off we go. By this time the sun was starting to go down so it was getting a bit difficult to read the dunes at certain angles. Well I came bombing over a dune and made a run for the bottom. Problem is the bottom was a lot steeper than it looked. I kind of realized it at the last second and jumped on the brakes hard. (thank god i put those yfz450 calipers on) Too late though, plowed into the bottom of the dune and bottomed the front out hard. Didn't come off the bike, but bashed my shin hard into my new billet stator cover. (remember those shin guards) :wallbash: Lesson learned, I bought all this shit for a reason. Im not getting on the damn thing anymore without all of it on. 4 days later and my shin still looks ugly. Still had a kick ass time though :biggrin:

• 4 weeks later...
Ok, so we were out at pismo this past weekend. Was fooling around with the cub motor doing some jetting adjustments. Decided I was going to do a plug chop because the nasty wind we had had all day finally died down. Me and my cousin jumped on our bikes and I only threw on my helmet, despite the fact that i had my flak jacket and knee/shin guards laying in the trailer. Only going to go do a plug chop anyway right? Well ran the new set of plugs, and everything looked pretty good. I looked at my cousin and said hey, weather is sweet lets go for a little ride. Well about five minutes later, I was doing a "side hill" across the face of a dune. I dont know how to describe it but basically the bike is pointed uphill, and you are just giving it enough throttle to sort of powerslide across the face of the dune. Its just kind of fun. Well, I hooked a rear tire on a hard spot of sand and flopped the bike over on my self. Didn't really hurt untill the paddle drove across my chest. (remember that flak jacket) :shoothead: Oh yeah, did I forget to mention, i didn't hook the tether kill to my self, so when i came off the bike it didn't kill it. Hence the reason the paddle gave me a good ass kicking. No biggie, nothing really hurt but my pride, so i jump back on fire her up and off we go. By this time the sun was starting to go down so it was getting a bit difficult to read the dunes at certain angles. Well I came bombing over a dune and made a run for the bottom. Problem is the bottom was a lot steeper than it looked. I kind of realized it at the last second and jumped on the brakes hard. (thank god i put those yfz450 calipers on) Too late though, plowed into the bottom of the dune and bottomed the front out hard. Didn't come off the bike, but bashed my shin hard into my new billet stator cover. (remember those shin guards) :wallbash: Lesson learned, I bought all this shit for a reason. Im not getting on the damn thing anymore without all of it on. 4 days later and my shin still looks ugly. Still had a kick ass time though :biggrin:

I expect to crash EVERY time I ride...I don't,(not EVERY time... LOL), but it's a good reminder. Ride on!

• 4 months later...

Yep, Your gear isnt protecting shit when its in your trailor! And on a side note, you seem like the kinda guy that might not strap his helmet (could be totally wrong but..) which keep in mind is just as bad as no helmet. Not being a smart ass, just looking out for a fellow rider!!

yeah thats like me. when i had my blasty we were about to go upstate and i washed my quad and was about to load it and had sneakers on and slip! like 11 stiches on the inside and 7 on the outside! so i went to the hospital got stiches drove upstate that night and rode the whole next day with my boots on and i was fine! still got a pretty nice scar and this happened in sepember 07'

Yep, Your gear isnt protecting shit when its in your trailor! And on a side note, you seem like the kinda guy that might not strap his helmet (could be totally wrong but..) which keep in mind is just as bad as no helmet. Not being a smart ass, just looking out for a fellow rider!!

Nope, never, I have a rule that i dont even sit on a running bike without a helmet. i have crashed hard 2 times in my life. Both times in oregon. HMMM maybe i should stay out of oregon LOL. I broke a helmet the first time i hit so hard. Walked away without more than a whole bunch of bruises. Any way, helmet has absolutely saved my life twice no doubt.