Alky..pipes hot, almost no smoke

J-Madd

I'm a little stumped here. I just got my stock Banshee running on alky. It's not ported and has T5s, 34 mm pjs (0.118 dumps/mains, egn needles, pilot 55(?)),powerjets all the way out.

It runs good but the expansion chambers are HOT, and it smells like it's about to melt down! But you can touch the cylinders, and even the flange of the pipes and not get burned. And it barely smokes when warm (mixed 24:1..currently with some old alky that may have drawn some moisture). BTW the pipes are old and full of oil and carbon from years of running rich on gas.

Is this something to worry about? Do inframes just hold that much heat? There are barely any heat marks on the plugs..burned only to about 2 o'clock from the strap, but the porcelain ring is darker than I think it should be.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you post pics of the plugs? I am learning as well so not sure I can help, but would be easier for others to help. I know if you are rich on gas you can get a burn in the pipe from the excess raw fuel burning in the pipe... I know on my bike couple weekends ago, it didn't show any heat on the plugs after several runs, but pipes were pretty cool to the touch almost immediately after shutting it down. :confused:

I don't have any pics. On alky, a plug looks like new if it's too rich. If it's too lean/hot it turns black or dark brown. The base of the threaded part of the plug will begin to bronze starting at the strap, as it gets hot. Where it is not burned, it is still shiny, like new. Ideally you want the marks on the plug to go to 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock, with the strap at the 12 o'clock position. My plugs show that it's rich, so that's why I'm stumped about it not smoking. I can kind of see why the pipes would be hot if it's rich...the flame is burning farther into the pipes, right?

What are you mixing the oil at, alcohol takes alot more oil 20:1, and whats the timing at lower timing for it also like +5 or +6

Timing is at about +5 [stock plate maxed out], mixed 24:1..currently with some old alky that may have drawn some moisture, compression about 150. Just a stock milled head. Nothing fancy at all about this thing. If I burn it down, I'll just make it fast like the rest of them....but for now I'd rather that not happen :bomb_ie:

Oh..I thought you ran gas, and weren't familiar with alky...didn't mean to insult you with the alky plug tutorial :thumbsup:

You running inframes? My OOFs on the others are never hot.

No problem bro... I am running oof Shearers. I am new to running alky, but always do my homework. Just don't have much experience. That is why this thread is interesting to me. This is not a problem I am having, but curious to see what you find and what others think.

• 7 months later...

Oil ratio is like buying a car...everyone has their opinion.

I think J has enough meth bikes to know what works. I've been running 28:1 for the last two years with Klotz.

Methanol makes a hotter and more explosive power stroke. Trail pipes will hold more heat than a drag or OOF pipe.

If it were me, I'd try to clean the insides of the pipe. Some kerosene, diesel, etc. in the pipes, tape the ends off and swoosh it around, see if you can get some of the gunk out.

What kind of compression are you running?

Lastly...take some methanol/oil out of the tank and put it in a clear cup. If you can see white strings in it...it's bad.

I had the same problem today, It was my first time trying/using it. But when i first did it i kept having problems with my floats sticking and it filled my pipes with fuel. Im also running extremely rich.

i was told to turn my pingle off when i shut the bike off.. so it wont fill my pipes up..

but.. i also run big bowls..

banshee018.jpg

heres another one for you dave, not that it will matter with my bike being 10k miles away but it has been bothering me ever since I rode it in Pismo and couldnt get it runnign right...

I got the carbs fro K&T and they were PIG rich with 116. Jugs barley getting any heat. Tryed messing with mains and dumps and just t be safe went up to 118 to make sure it was in fact rich. like i thought it was, so i went to drop it 116 and the main broke in haf at the threads. So I ended up having to put a 117 and a leaner needle. It ran a tiny bit better. at this point we had no other options. I started cranking up the timing on my dyna and it got better. But it would cut out on top end. Plugs didnt show any heat.

I am assuming that when you are rich and you bump the timing it makes it run better correct? If my assumption is correct I need to drop to 115 mains and dumps with the leaner needle and drop my timing back and start over... what you think? I would like to just get it dyno tu ed but I have not the slightest clue where there is an atv dyno in Tx.