only 5hrs on new motor and it blew again...

i just rebilt my motor had it all ported polished did coolhead bigger pistons and everything. it ran good during the brake in took it to the dunes for the weekend and came back did a compression test it had 150lbs in the left and 30lbs in the right tore the motor down pistons were black and one was missing half of the clip an there was chunks outta the top of the piston and the cylinder is damaged. i did gear saver oil in the motor and mix castor 927 in the gas with a 40:1 ratio. what happened? what should i do different next time?

post-28080-1209532212_thumb.jpg

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you check piston to cylinder clearance?

Ring End gap clearance?

Maybe the guy you had bore your cylinders didnt chamfer the ports so a ring caught a port.

the guy that did it took about 4 weeks to finish it i had them ported polished and blueprinted he said that they should be perfect but i did not double check. im going back to him tomorrow to see what he can do

WTF does blueprinting mean??? I know what it means on a car, but that is the first time I've ever heard it used on a bike...LOL...

Let's see more pics. Does it have scarring in all 4 corners of the piston (four scrapes?)

It could be cold seize...did you let it warm up a while before blasting off on it?

Either cold seize or a ring got caught....either way, I'd be finding a new guy to help out on your bike....

i cold seized my shit about 3 months ago.. had 5 hrs on it as well. snapped the damn skirt off the piston. had jeff check the cylns... he said that one was alittle to big on the bore..

i feel for u man.. i had the same shit go down. makes u sick.

I agree totally.

But it could have multiple problems....that being one of them. It could've cold seized before, left a mark on the piston, ring or skirt...then catching a port smoked it totally...

If it has 4 corner scarring, it could be an additional problem...:)

Looks to me like the ports wern't chamferd.. that big snag was right over a transfer port..

hey not to sound like a dumb a$$ but did you check you bottom end? i kept have about the same problem and found a rod bearing and one crank bearing shot

You put the ring in the cylinder and use a piston head to make sure it is square in the bore. Then you use a feeler gauge to measuer the ring end gap.

i didnt check the ring end gap or the bottom end i am taking the cylinders back to the guy that did the machine work because there is a big chunk out of one of the transfer ports.

post-28080-1209596990.jpg