brand new bashee fell apart

update.. they were just going to replace missing bolts but talk to manager getting lower a arm replaced and new shock. when i go to pick it up im not taking back unless i get compesated for my time and agrivation. not to mention im paying interest on this bike that they are going to have for a couple of weeks.

just got a brand new 06 banshee took it out and the front suspension came out. none of the bolts were torqued and all fell out. i imagine i probably rode around with at least one shock wedge in the lower a arm. i didnt notice anything till i heard another bolt fly of and hit the frame. how much damaged could have been done. i took it back and they are fixing it. but could there be any hidden damaged. is there anything i should get out of this like a credit or maybe a warranty covering the bike and or front suspension. out of the 4 bolts in the front suspension i only had 1 left and its nut was off. the suspension was jammed in the a arms. what should i do.

Whether I am buying an MXer or a quad I take a torque wrench to the drivetrain nuts and suspension nuts. Get a shop manual and know the specs and spend time checking it over. I went over the bars on my RM due to a loose brake part and was lucky to not be strapped to a wheelchair. The caliper came out and wedged in between the fork tube and wheel causing a real bad day. Even if you don't feel like using a torque wrench at least us a socket and ratchet to check it over.

Now, what to do with it in shambles? Go to an online parts place and download schematics to see what your front suspension should look like and see what exactly is missing. Damage you may have done? Take it to the dealer and see what they say, chances are if they are reputable they will take care of this and do a thorough job of inspecting everything critical. What is important is to learn from this. If it has tits or wheels and you aren't on top of it, you can get hurt. Do a monthly inspection of the quad.

Edited by RollinRhino

Though i agree you should check it over also, you SHOULDNT have to. you have to remember too that most people dont have tools and count on these monkies at the dealer. Its not like most of these quads come like a lego set, they are 75% together for the most part and its pretty sad what the dealers out west are doing

That is bullshit. You should NOT have to check it. I know when I was looking at quads some shops actually charged for assembly. Which I thought was bullshit, if they charged you for assembly then you should demand your money back for that.

I never even thought about checking anything on my quad when I bought, for $7,000 they better have done everything perfect. Thats like going to a restaurant and paying full price for something that has yet to be cooked.

The manual tells you to check the bike BEFORE EVERY RIDE. But hey, you go ahead and trust the people who put these things together. I have owned over 40 motorcycles and I had a bad accident on a brand new one in 1987 (I went over the bars because of the triple clamps being loose) and have always checked it over when I get it home ever since. I haven't had a accident on anything new ever since. On one of my new Hondas the swingarm nuts was loose on it when I checked it out in my shop. I paid 4K for the bike and felt like I shouldn't have to do this, but as long as people assemble these things the odds of something being loose are higher than you think. This was only a couple of years ago.

Yes, it shouldn't have loose nuts on it, but it did. How many car accidents shouldn't happen that you see? People aren't perfect. When your buggie was being assembled a human was doing it. He/she could have gotten distracted or whatever and didn't torque the front end.

Go ahead and just jump on it and ride it. Its only your life. No biggie.

I always check nuts and bolts in critical areas on new and espically used bikes its just second nature for me. But the point is you shouldnt HAVE to and NOTHING should be loose espically something that critical thats fucked up. I would demand all of the protective gear they have in the store and a set of tools including a Torque wrench to go over their work or in this case lack there of and tell them you are going to report them to the better business bureau. These are mistakes that SHOULD NOT be made Period.