Houston, we have a problem.

gentner8

So I pull the banshee out to take the pipes off for powder coating and I notice some anti-freeze on the two bolts directly on the bottom of the case. I pull the dipstick and the oil is milky.

Please tell me this will be a easy repair! I can take too many more of these surprises on this bike. :shoothead:

Sounds like it could be a few things. i know it happen to a friend and he didn't want to pull apart so just flushed a lot of oil through it and it has been fine but not something i would do. whip everything down dry and watch and see were get's wet first and start from there to see were it is coming from.

hey bud, i wouldn't run it any more until you fix the problem. if you have antifreeze in your oil it's eventually going to work on your clutch fibers and they will be trashed and you'll be in for a new clutch kit also. it's most likely your impeller seal, probably caused by impeller failure. pull the covers for the impeller, where the rad hose hooks into the motor on the right side. if you had a stock impeller they break apart, you loose coolant circulation, and it usually destroys the seal to the bottom end and lets coolant into the oil. if that's the problem you need to pull the side cover off to fix it. and while you have it apart replace the impeller with a billet one, the stockers have a short lifespan.

I'm not too sure this has any relevance the poster's issue...but when i bought my '99 I rode it for about 3 months and did the oil change, the oil came out kinda grayish and kinda milky....didn't even think about other liquid in the oil but I have never had that happen since then...always comes out nice and clear...could the type/brand have anything to do with this??

I wouldn't take a chance, tear it apart it will save you money. :banghead:

I tore my bike down because I was swapping pipes and there was white slugey looking hand cleaner in my cylinders found out it was a case seal between the crank /tranny. :shoothead:

Good luck :beer:

The only place coolant can get into the crankcase is thru the impeller seal or the water tube going into the clutch cover. The latter being less likely. If the coolant has not been there long pull the clutch cover fix the problem and then change the oil a few times.

Water can get in the crank case from the rubber plugs going bad on the botom of the cylinders!!! :banghead:

man i was just thinking, if you said it was never maintaned, could it just be condensation from never being changed?? if not my guess will be the water pump seal. and DO NOT BUY A MODQUAD IMPELLER!! spend the extra 10 bucks or so and get the prodesign.. i made the mistake of getting the modquad impeller.. it could have destroyed my engine if i didn't have the temp gauge..

so do i just need to pull the clutch cover off to replace the seal, or split the cases?

If you are talking about the water pump seal, all you have to do is pull the clutch cover off. You are going to have to take the impeller bearing out of the clutch cover to get at the seal, so it would probably be a good idea to replace the bearing along with the seal. Also just a tip, put grease on both the outside of the bearing and the oustide/inside of the seal and inside the clutch cover where they fit in. The fit is really tight so put the cover on a block of wood and use the back side of a socket (sized to the outside race of the bearing) with a rubber mallet to gently tap them in there. It's kind of a pain, just take your time and they will eventually seat in there.