takes a lot to get it to turn over

04titanse

hey everyone. After i installed a NOSS cool head with 20cc domes my bike is a lot harder to start. Before i put the cool head on it would start every time within the first three kicks no matter how long it sat without being ridden.

Now with the cool head installed it takes me at least 10-15 kicks to start. I mean at least sometimes closer to 20. I have the jetting really good, it idles great and runs awesome the plugs are looking great and a brand new. Compression when stock was right around 115psi in both cylinders and now with the 20cc domes i am looking at like 155psi in both cylinders. + or - 5 psi. I am running fresh 93 octane gas.

Everything is working great and bike runs really hard! Once started it is a beast for a bolt on bike and has no problems at all. I feel like everything points in the direction of low compression but my compression is ok. Not great but def. enough to get her started easily. After i ride it for a while or even after i let it idle for like 5 min it starts first or second kick.

Any ideas?????

MODS:

NOSS cool head 20cc domes - 155psi comppression

Toomey t5 pipes w/ silencers

Boyseen super stock reeds

+4 timing advance - RS timing plate

K&N clamp on filter w/ outerwears

NO LID airbox

TORS eliminator kit

jetting(if i can remember correctly)

300 or 310 main (cant remember which)

stock pilot (ran shitty with a 27.5 pilot)

Edited by 04titanse

anyone have any advice??

hmm check if its an air leak, if not i would say either a 27.5 pilot or you have you carb bowls criss-crossed make sure that the left carb (with the choke) has the bowl with a small brass ball or if you look inside it and where a small brass tube on the carb body goes into should have a small hole on the very bottom

wait.....how do i tell if the carb bowls are wrong?

I saw where you said it ran like crap with the 27.5, was that before or after the head?

Are you using the choke when its cold?

I hate stock carbs, I had a very similar problem when I ran them. I couldn't get it started for shit when it was cold, took several kicks...but once it got warm, first kick every time. I went to aftermarket carbs and the problem left with the stockers. I have very similar mods to you

I saw where you said it ran like crap with the 27.5, was that before or after the head?

Are you using the choke when its cold?

I hate stock carbs, I had a very similar problem when I ran them. I couldn't get it started for shit when it was cold, took several kicks...but once it got warm, first kick every time. I went to aftermarket carbs and the problem left with the stockers. I have very similar mods to you

i tried the 27.5 pilot with the head. it got very boggy and ran very bad. I run stock pilot right now with air screw like .5 turns out.

also, i use the choke when cold. if i dont it will take twice as many kicks.

You're on the border of adjustment for that air screw. Try 27.5 pilots with 2.0 turns out...

I would think if the head is installed wrong, an oring was pinched, etc., you'd know by now...

yeah i tried the 27.5 pilot and i tried almost every possible position of the air screw and it really ran bad everywhere. Runs better and starts better with the stock pilot.

I doubt an o-ring is pinched because nothing is leaking and it sit well. also it runs great once started. just for kicks i will pull the head off and check to make sure i didn't mess up any of the o rings.

well if you jetted your bike or had both carbs off at the same time then i think you have accidently swapped bowls, mine did this ecaxt thing and that was problem until it was warmed up it wouldnt start because the choke wouldnt activate

so take the bowl off the carb that has the choke, now there is a brass tube that gos from the carb body to the inside of the bowl and its only on the left carb (choke carb) where that tube is suposed to go, the spot where that brass tube goes should have a small hole in the vary bottom so gas can flow through to it, you will know what i am talking about when you take it off

well if you jetted your bike or had both carbs off at the same time then i think you have accidently swapped bowls, mine did this ecaxt thing and that was problem until it was warmed up it wouldnt start because the choke wouldnt activate

so take the bowl off the carb that has the choke, now there is a brass tube that gos from the carb body to the inside of the bowl and its only on the left carb (choke carb) where that tube is suposed to go, the spot where that brass tube goes should have a small hole in the vary bottom so gas can flow through to it, you will know what i am talking about when you take it off

alright i will give it a shot. thanks