Hydrodynamic A-ARMs

2strokespirit

I was the guy that post the thread about my new HD i2500 a-arm kit that the upper a-arm did not fit in onto the brackets, it had a play of about 1mm. Ok so I just made up a washer to get rid of the problem, that was about 7-8 months ago. I have contacted HD about this, but they just ignores me.... I thought they where a reputable company and have customer service, I guess not. Well after only 7 months of riding, I have a hour meter on my bike and ride only some weekends, the a-arms has only about 20 Hours on them, the lowers ball joints are totally destroyed!!!! I was in my workshop, building a motor for a guy when my bike was in the way and I wanted to move it, I grab the left front wheel and when I try to moved it, I felt play on the wheel. I immedialtely thought it was a bearing or something and inpected it, because the a-arms is just 7 months old... I bought the bike brand new in October 2006, so it was weird that there can be any problems, since I don't ride that much, just had 2 races on the a-arms as well and some dune riding, I removed the front wheel and when I jacked up the a-arm, the bottom ball joint's joint almost fell out, they are totally messed up...!!! I could not believe this!!! The upper bushes has play as well and they got greased often... If you look at the upper bush you can see its not good quality bushes, I will make my own teflon ones, but the damn ball joints are totally destroyed after 20 hours!!! If you go and read about HDs balljoints, they rave about them and how durable they are, I contacted the dealer where I bought them, but he refuses everything I told him, just like the past and said this is NORMAL wear for a ball joint on a banshee, what a bunch of crap, I have my own tune shop in SA and he thinks I will believe him.. The saddest part is HD do not answer my e-mails or anything.... What should I do? I heard that Lone star ball joints looks the same and ATV four play ones, but they are better quality. Another company said to me that HD balljoints don't last, thats a fact... Anybody know what other balljoint can I use??

I am going to contact HD again this afternoon.

The saddest part is HD do not answer my e-mails or anything....

I am going to contact HD again this afternoon.

I understand that you are in africa, and might not want to, but have you called them? A lot of companies don't answer emails, because people will get discouraged and give up, which saves the company money. I would call them and give them a sob story about where you live and how good their are are supose to be, and then tell them about all the troubles they have given you. They seem like a large company that should stand up to their products, but after 7 months I kinda don't expect them to give you anything (maybe don't tell them how long you've had them). If that is the case find a good set of ball joints from somewhere else and inspect them before every ride.

good luck :blush:

I understand that you are in africa, and might not want to, but have you called them? A lot of companies don't answer emails, because people will get discouraged and give up, which saves the company money. I would call them and give them a sob story about where you live and how good their are are supose to be, and then tell them about all the troubles they have given you. They seem like a large company that should stand up to their products, but after 7 months I kinda don't expect them to give you anything (maybe don't tell them how long you've had them). If that is the case find a good set of ball joints from somewhere else and inspect them before every ride.

good luck :blush:

Yes, I think I will give them a call... I ordered a new set of ball joints, I am going to put a grease nipple on it, just to give it a little grease on services, who inspects ball joints every day before riding, my previous bike oem joints lasted more than 5 years!!!

Thanks....

well i have had my i5500 kit for about a year and a half, and it probbly only has 30 hrs TOPs on it, and i hae never had a problem with anything, and maybe thy built the aarm for there shocks, and thats why elkas and ther shocks wont fit, so idk what else to say about this, but after 7 months of hard riding anything could happen.

well i have had my i5500 kit for about a year and a half, and it probbly only has 30 hrs TOPs on it, and i hae never had a problem with anything, and maybe thy built the aarm for there shocks, and thats why elkas and ther shocks wont fit, so idk what else to say about this, but after 7 months of hard riding anything could happen.

For sure a ball joint can be finished after 7 months of hard riding, I haven't done more than 20 hours which includes 2 races... thats totally insane...

i want to clear this up. I phoned HD and the service was excellent, they treated me good and everything was sorted. Listen to this, HDs products are 100% satisfaction guaranteed, they say to me if the balljoints failed after such a short time, they will replace it!!

Sell them and get a set of ASR chrommoly ones with the heim joints. I've run the same ones for about 2 and a half years now with no problems whatsoever. I take them apart every winter and inspect them and they heims are still good as new.

hey man you got a link for somewhere good (cheap) to get asr arms?

thanks, mark

• 3 weeks later...