The Big Question is answered.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen a cub motor with pt mids and pro circuits peak at 9k rpm on that dyno also (resleeved with lowered exhaust ports). Im not 100% sure if your only pulling that kind of rpm, that you will need vforce reeds. We wont know until dave swaps a set out though. It seems a little odd that some people take a drag cylinder with an exhaust port that cant be lowered without re-sleeving and bolt on mid range pipes to it. I dont get why they dont go out and try to find a power valve cylinder setup if they want a high flow cylinder that will make bottom-mid power..

Amen to that....

I also can assure you there are not a whole lot of cubs, cheetahs, twisters, etc., running around with trail style pipes.

The VAST majority would be CPI, Shearer....drag orientated pipes with open/free flow...

Throw different compression levels, timing....etc., you have a different animal....:)

Amen to that....

I also can assure you there are not a whole lot of cubs, cheetahs, twisters, etc., running around with trail style pipes.

The VAST majority would be CPI, Shearer....drag orientated pipes with open/free flow...

Throw different compression levels, timing....etc., you have a different animal....:)

When the cubs first came out we did a little experimenting with them, more for fun than anything else. We took a 4mil casting and decked it and ran off-set domes. We ran it with 33's and T5's and it was an amazing dune setup. It hit like a cub, but it hit at the lower-midrange instead of all up on top. It was a lot of fun to ride around on. We built it up to around 180lbs compression and 7 degrees advanced on timing and it got even more fun to ride. I sold it to a guy in utah who still has it set up the same and rides at sand mountain and he says he loves it.

pretty cool test you did, one day im gonna book the dyno here for the day and try a bunch of my stuff on it.

if it were me though, i would keep the dual mikuni's on. the single carb makes 1 or 2 horsepower more before 6500, but takes away 4 hp after that. also, you are still getting that 9 hp jump from approx 6500 to 6900... 9hp in 400 rpm!!! thats what makes your wheels spin lol

also, both setups produce the same flat torque curve from about 6900 onwards, but the mikunis do it with 2 ft lb more the whole way...

and how do you jet a single carb twin cylinder, if both cylinders dont run exactly the same? i know on my quad and lots of my friends quads that one cylinder always runs leaner or richer than the other (especially when ported) for example i run a 187 main jet in the right carb and a 185 in the left because when doing plug chops the right sparkplug always came out with a bit less colour on it than the left...

i would like the easy throttle pull of the single carb though!

• 12 years later...
On 2/4/2008 at 1:27 AM, Snopczynski said:

Well we ran my motor today with a single 35mm pwk, and with a set of dual mikuni tm 28mm's bored to 30mm. Motor was ran on a land and sea crank dyno.

Motor is a dynoport ported 350 (186 degree exhaust duration), pro circuit pipes, v-force reeds, wiseco pistons, 175 psi compression.

Single carb shined at under 6800 rpm. At 6500 rpm, it was making 2 more hp than the dual carbs. Soon after 7k rpm, the dual carbs came on hard. Ultimately at peak rpm of 8250, it made 62.71hp with the single. Roughly it held torque at 41 ft lbs-42.5 ft lbs from 6900 rpm to 8000 rpm.

The duals as said started pushing hard after 6900 rpm. Peak was 66.78 hp at 8650 rpm. The torque curve or torque backup maintained 42 ft lbs-42.5 ft lbs from about 7250 rpm- 8150 rpm.

V-force reeds on a 9k rpm motor are a joke. Stock cages, boots, with stock boost bottle, and carbon tech mid reeds made 2 more peak hp than the v-force reeds did.

Best timing ended up at +5.

And for the guys who are putting humongous singles on, the 35mm pwk on my bike made .3 hp less at 7/8 throttle than at wide open. This indicates that the 35mm carb is borderline too big for a 350 that revs to 9k rpm.

So, 2 into 1 makes better lowend power and has better throttle response. Dual carbs pull more rpm and make more peak hp. So obviously trail, play, and mx guys could benefit from a 2 into 1 setup. Drag racers, hill shooters, and high speed riders can benefit from dual carbs and the extra rpm/hp they pull from the motor.

Single pwk 35mm guys, Perfect jetting on my bike with max power was 195 main, eej needle, 2nd clip positon from the top.

Quicktime video link.

stock bore.start 40 pilot.idle speed screw start at round 4 turns out with the spring.air fuel screw at 1.5